Sphagnum Moss always wet?

GroovyBrent

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA
Living in Southern California, of course humidity is a challenge. We have a humidifier and a controller that keeps the humidity at a reasonable level - but the Sphagnum Moss (with a layer of shredded... Cypress I think? under the moss) the moss is always wet to the touch. I'd classify it as more than damp - actually wring-it-out wet.

Is this something I should look to adjust? Should I try to create a "dry side" to his tank along with the temperature gradient (and how the heck would I accomplish that!?!)

Pic below for reference.

Side note on his enclosure - it's getting a bit too small for him. We're moving to a new house in a couple months, and he's going to have a big new custom built home once we move!

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1405186353.873772.jpg

--
Brent A
On behalf of Jet the Redfoot

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
"Wring-it-out wet" is fine. The moss will tend to dry out slowly throughout the day enough to not cause any shell problems. There could be potential issues if you're constantly spraying it, though. I always make it a habit to check plastrons on soak days just to be on the safe side.

GroovyBrent

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA
"Wring-it-out wet" is fine. The moss will tend to dry out slowly throughout the day enough to not cause any shell problems.

That's my question: because of the humidifier, the moss never dries out. I don't spray it - it stays that wet just from the humidity.

As for checking the plastron - should there be (essentially) zero give? Or is a very slight spring ok?

--
Brent A
On behalf of Jet the Redfoot

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's best to,have the top layer dry, RF are more prone to shell rot then other higher humidity torts. Checking at soak times is good, except, if you find something, it's kinda too late. I would adjust things so the top layer is dry.

Turtlepete

South Florida
If its regular long-fiber spaghnum moss, shell fungus isn't an issue. The acidity of the substrate itself prevents any fungal growth. I've raised dozens of hatchling red foots on it; never once seen shell fungus. Just wring it out well.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I second Turtlepete's comment. I've kept my sphagnum moss consistently moist without any issues. As for plastron hardness, I believe it's normal for the first couple months for some give. The best description I've read was that it was like pushing on a plastic tub of margarine and not squishy like a sponge.