New cherry head redfoot eating sphagnum moss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joder14

5 Year Member
I finally got my cherry head and I am so excited. He/she is a year old and very healthy :) I put sphagnum moss in her enclosure today to help with humidity and to snuggle in and she keeps eating it. Should I take it out? Nervous new tort mom :/

abclements

5 Year Member
Hmm, like is it eating all of it? Or just little bites here and there? Either way, the moss isnt going to hurt him.. but hes probably hungry... if you put in a couple plants that he can munch on as a snack, itll probably stop...

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
This could also be a sign of possibly needing more hydration or balance in minerals. Sometimes torts will eat rocks because of ths mineral content in ths rock. Lets look at your diet on a weekly basis, and environments conditions and take an assessment and try to help you limit the items it cant be. So that being said. What your daily, weekly diet consist of, including calcium powder and how often. Enclosure what type of cage, table, aquarium and decorations. Hides, lights etc... Photos are a good thing too.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I would monitor how much of the moss your tort is ingesting....too much absolutely can create a problem...that is a stringy kinda rough material....

I would make sure your tort remains well hydrated and I personally would remove the material if your tort is literally eating it and not just sniffing/sampling it...also, your tort is new to you and its enclosure so just keep an eye on what is going on and you may need to remove the moss until you get use to your tort and such :D

Status
Not open for further replies.