Sphagnum moss questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tofuqueen

10 Year Member!
Does sphagnum moss get moldy? Should I moisten it every day? How often should I switch it out and put in new moss? This is for an indoor enclosure for a Red Foot.
Thank you! :)

Also... should I be concerned about insects? I bought the Mosser Lee organic sphagnum moss. I also read online (sometimes I read TOO much....) and I found info regarding a fungal disease associated with the moss. "Sphagnum moss can be a source of a chronic fungal disease called sporotrichosis, which enters the skin through scratches and abrasions". I worry too much sometimes! LOL! Is this stuff okay to use?

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
I've bought and used a lot of sphagnum and never had mold, mildew, etc. problems. The stuff works great. I would moisten it as often as you see fit. But that is just my experience.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I agree with Jordan I've never had a problem with molding. I do Dale's enclosure every 4 to 5 months or so.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
I feel like it can mold if you keep it sopping wet. I had some this week that I treated like the coco-coir bricks (threw it in a bucket with lots of hot water, then waited for it to "expand") and it was a mistake. I had to replace it on day 2 because I woke up and there was mold EVERYWHERE. Wish I had taken a picture to show you.

However, its also possible that it was just a "bad bag" of moss. Who knows.

I'd suggest misting it with a hand mister instead of just pouring water on it like I did. It really helps make the evenly moist substrate how most do it.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
Yeah I don't think I would ever use bed-a-beast or eco-earth! That stuff gets everywhere. I would only be using orchid bark chips and mosser lee moss. That moss is great...less than $4 at lowes and I am sure it will last me a whole month!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I use "wild" sphagnum moss that I pick locally. The areas that I pick it from are litterally bogs, the base of the moss is dripping wet nearly every time I pull a bunch out. I have never seen any sign of mold at all, in it's natural state or the way I use it with the tortoises. Sphagnum is very acidic and accustomed to growing in very wet places so I have to believe that it is very mold resistant.

Just about anything organic whether it be moss, mulch, soil, etc... can and will harbor mold, fungus, various bacterias and more not kept relatively free of wastes and if kept damp enough, long enough without proper airflow available.

That's a good reason when using organic materials for tortoise substrates to spot clean at least daily and turn & mix the substrate often.

Status
Not open for further replies.