Special needs for stars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
I'm interested in getting an Indian star tortoise as a first tortoise soon. I've committed myself to many hours of comprehensive research and planning. I know the high fibre, high calcium, low protein and sugar diet, their temps, humidity, lighting, etc. I have located several sources for plant seeds and I have a comprehensive setup plan and maintenance schedule.
I know these are delicate tortoises and are prone to RI if not kept warm enough. I'm very dedicated the health and well-being of my (future) tortoise, so I'm curious to know about any special needs they have.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
In the past 8 or so years with Indian Stars, I have never observed any frequency of respiratory issues in the Stars as compared to any of the other tortoises I have had. In fact, I have seen RI issues more often in my leopards than with the stars. All of mine have been captive bred and exposed to a wide range of temperatures.

So I would say that there are no special needs to consider really. I have found that their ideal temperature range is between 80 and 95 degrees. If down the road you decide to breed and end up with a male/female pair, be prepared to separate them. Although not aggressive, male Indian stars can be very persistent breeders.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Neal said:
In the past 8 or so years with Indian Stars, I have never observed any frequency of respiratory issues in the Stars as compared to any of the other tortoises I have had. In fact, I have seen RI issues more often in my leopards than with the stars. All of mine have been captive bred and exposed to a wide range of temperatures.

So I would say that there are no special needs to consider really. I have found that their ideal temperature range is between 80 and 95 degrees. If down the road you decide to breed and end up with a male/female pair, be prepared to separate them. Although not aggressive, male Indian stars can be consistent and persistent breeders.

Sounds great.

xiaobochu

10 Year Member!
SUNNY CALIFORNIA
tortoises101 said:
I'm interested in getting an Indian star tortoise as a first tortoise soon. I've committed myself to many hours of comprehensive research and planning. I know the high fibre, high calcium, low protein and sugar diet, their temps, humidity, lighting, etc. I have located several sources for plant seeds and I have a comprehensive setup plan and maintenance schedule.
I know these are delicate tortoises and are prone to RI if not kept warm enough. I'm very dedicated the health and well-being of my (future) tortoise, so I'm curious to know about any special needs they have.

you'd better to plant some dandelion and different grass.
Mazuri is also necessary.
From my experience, I donot think the UVA/UVB bulb is necessary.
If your star is baby, you'd better to soak them everyday.
Temp: I say 75 to 95 is the best but it depends on the size of your tortoise.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
xiaobochu said:
tortoises101 said:

you'd better to plant some dandelion and different grass.
Mazuri is also necessary.
From my experience, I donot think the UVA/UVB bulb is necessary.
If your star is baby, you'd better to soak them everyday.
Temp: I say 75 to 95 is the best but it depends on the size of your tortoise.

I'm going to have plants in there, so I figure a tube bulb would be a nice addition. Can the cool side temps and nighttime temps remain at room temperature?

Status
Not open for further replies.