Summer Stars

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Balto. MD
Today's Update: All but one egg has pipped or hatched. The only one not hatching is the discolored one down in the corner. Several have climbed out of their eggs and are now in their brooder boxes.
View attachment 312430
View attachment 312431

Very nice looking hatchling, also look very active. Already got my eye on the one I went. And any chance you can share a couple of pictures of your adult Burmese Star Tortoises. Just curious to see the shell patterns. Again very nice!

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Congrats on your beautiful tortoises, and on such a successful hatch!

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
21. Bringing my total for the species to 71, and I have about another 100 eggs still incubating. I should go count them.

And one of my females was laying again yesterday...
That’s awesome! Thanks for posting these. I’d love to be able to do what you’re doing with this species one day.

Last edited:

Emmawilly

Plymouth
My Burmese Stars usually lay in winter. For some reason they decided to lay in summer this year too. I'm not going to complain! :)

For those who don't know, this species is functionally extinct. They are not "endangered". They are EXTINCT in the wild. What we breed in captivity is all that is left of this species. Lucky for the species, they are super hardy, easy to raise and care for, absolutely gorgeous, and super friendly and outgoing. They are an ideal species for a pet. They don't get huge, they are not destructive, they have no special diet requirements... These traits should ensure their survival for a long time to come.

I didn't know if eggs laid in hot weather would hatch or not. Now I know:
View attachment 312198View attachment 312199View attachment 312200

These are two different clutches from two different females. They started pipping last night. More pic to come!
What beautiful colouring. I had no idea they were extinct. How wonderful to be able to keep the species going this way. Well done ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Candy for the eyes!

What do you think went wrong with that one egg? Was it discolored like that when it was laid?

Will you open it to see if you can tell what happened?
For most species most of the time, a hatch rate of 80-90% is pretty good. For some species or some situations, only 20-40% hatch. In the case of my SA leopards, I'm not getting many to hatch at all. Lots of eggs just don't develop and for many possible reasons. That is why it is worth noting and celebrating when anyone gets a 100% hatch rate any time with any species. With a rare or endangered species, even more so, I think.

Cynosoura

McDonough, GA
For most species most of the time, a hatch rate of 80-90% is pretty good. For some species or some situations, only 20-40% hatch. In the case of my SA leopards, I'm not getting many to hatch at all. Lots of eggs just don't develop and for many possible reasons. That is why it is worth noting and celebrating when anyone gets a 100% hatch rate any time with any species. With a rare or endangered species, even more so, I think.
Congratulations, Tom. These are absolutely gorgeous torts!