looking for Indian Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niko 2010

5 Year Member
I am newbie to the Forum, but decided to join because i got really badly ripped off a few weeks ago from somebody who claims he is a tortoise breeder. His name is Dr. Marklevis.

i have red foot tortoises and Greek tortoises since more then 12 years know. since 1 year my wife and me are thinking to start with star tortoises. We were studying this specie for close to a half year know, made all the necessary arrangements and decided we are going to buy some this spring. We found this guys web side and got in E-mail contact with him. he seemed to be really nice and knowledgeable. So we ordered 2 stars from him. Send the money and never heard back.

We still want to purchase a baby pair of Indian stars but we don't know anymore who we can trust. I need help to find somebody who is selling stars for a reasonable price.

Thanks

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
If you would consider Sri Stars, you can't go wrong with Douglas Beard (elegans on here). Check out the for sale section and contact him. He may have some available. You won't find a better guy and he has tons of experience with Stars.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hello Niko 2010 and welcome to the forum! Dr. Marklevis is a fraud. I contacted him on the reptile classifieds website and after numerous e-mails, although he sounds convincing, something didn't add up. Like his pics were so different and the substrate for the same species was so different. Also, he said he was in Las Angeles, but then said he moved back east during the past couple weeks, which is a huge project to move your entire tort area of all species, as he listed he had. I asked for references and he only gave e-mail addresses..probably his own. Anyways, I typed in his name on google and there's an alert website for him out on a pet fraud website. I sent the reptile site an e-mail, as there was no number, but never heard from them. I wanted them to remove his ad! I'm so sorry to hear about that. I almost purchased two adult Leopards from him for $2,000. After that experience, I too was/am so scared to send someone money. I have been looking on Kingsnake and was told that's a great site for buying tortoises and that they screen fairly well. I have been looking on kingsnake for quite sometime and you learn a lot of the same people are on there and are reliable. I also purchased a Sulcata on this forum and had a fabulous experience...the best actually!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Welcome to the forum :)

I'm afraid you were scammed :( He is most likely from Africa. How did you pay?

Danny

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Whan I first started purchasing redfoots,I corresponded with him. Like you said,a lot of things weren't adding up and I smelled a rat. Needless to say,I found others to do buisiness with. I've done buisiness with East Bay Vivarium,Nick Mole,Jeremy Stone and Terry K.,and was more than satisfied with all of them. Buyer beware! Ask around,talk to other keepers and I'll think the guys here on the forum won't steer you wrong.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Be careful of Kingsnake as well ... there are some unscrupulous people on there.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Niko 2010:

Welcome to the forum!! If you paid by PayPal or credit card, you might be able to get your money back.

Niko 2010

5 Year Member
No, i was stupid enough to pay by walmart money gram.

I found anouther breeder for Indian stars but i think this time i ask here first if anybody heart of them before. I got this e-mail back from a lady in the UK:

Thanks for the mail and your interest in our tortoise and turtles. We do appreciate your interest in our Tortoises and we want to assure you that we will give you all the support and favor to ensure you become a proud owner of any of them as you desire.
We are a licensed reptile enthusiast family from Middlesbrough, England in UK, We keep and studies tortoises and turtles as a hobby and we have the proper licenses and permit to ship them to any location.
We operate as a breeding facility for various indigenous and exotic tortoises and turtles in order to supply quality captive reptiles.

The Ladys name is: Louisa Ann from Middlesbrough, England
her E-mail is: [email protected]

Please reply if anybody deald with her before.

Thanks

emysemys said:
Hi Niko 2010:

Welcome to the forum!! If you paid by PayPal or credit card, you might be able to get your money back.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I'm afraid that's a scam too :( You need to find someone in the United States to buy your Star tortoise from. :)

Danny

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
"Mark Levis" is all over the place, big time scammer advertising tortoises, birds, and other animals. I'm sorry to hear about your experience.

Some things I always look for that indicate fraud:
If it's overseas (outside the US)...no offense to anyone...it's likely a scam.
If they ask you to pay via moneygram or western union, it's likely a scam.
If they advertise large quantities of rare species such as indian stars, radiated, galapogos, adalbra, etc... for a lower price than what you would normally see anywhere else, it's likely a scam.

I always say "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." Before I buy from anyone, I always google their email address and name, as well as ask for references. Usually from those sources you can make a determination if the seller is legitimate or not.
Be careful with reptileauctions.com...they don't have any real "filters" so just about anyone can get on there, and it has a lot of scammers.
Neal

Based on what I've seen, you should expect to pay $1,000 or more for a 1.1 pair of indian star tortoises.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
It's scary buying on-line, as you don't know who to trust. After I was almost scammed by Dr.Marklevis on purchasing Leopards, I contacted paypal and they informed me that unless you are buying directly from e-bay, you may or may not be able to get your money back. They said if you purchase a tortoise and pay through paypal and you don't receive the item, you can get a refund, but if you receive something from that person in the mail, the wrong tortoise than the picture, or even a rock in the box, you cannot get your money back because they can then prove there was a delivery to your house and the contents are not covered. I have been looking for an Leopards for awhile and have been holding back due to this reason. Forking out $2,000 or more dollars is a lot of money to risk losing. Does anyone know of a reliable person who sells Leopards (sub-adult or adults)?

flapjack torts

5 Year Member
I did the same thing when I came across this person. Another good rule is to not only research the animal you plan on getting but to ALWAYS look up the seller. It's sad to say but people out there will do just about anything to make an easy buck. I'm sorry to hear about your experience...If your in the states then I'd suggest going to a reptile show or for myself I'm a frequent shopper at LLL Reptile. I know the guys well and they are a stand up company and I just purchased a CB hatchling Indian star from them a few weeks ago. I believe they have more.

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/animals/tortoises-and-turtles/-/baby-indian-star-tortoises/

Best of luck and I hope it all works out for you! Please post pics when you get one! :)

ihaveaquestion3 said:
"Mark Levis" is all over the place, big time scammer advertising tortoises, birds, and other animals. I'm sorry to hear about your experience.

Some things I always look for that indicate fraud:
If it's overseas (outside the US)...no offense to anyone...it's likely a scam.
If they ask you to pay via moneygram or western union, it's likely a scam.
If they advertise large quantities of rare species such as indian stars, radiated, galapogos, adalbra, etc... for a lower price than what you would normally see anywhere else, it's likely a scam.

I always say "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." Before I buy from anyone, I always google their email address and name, as well as ask for references. Usually from those sources you can make a determination if the seller is legitimate or not.
Be careful with reptileauctions.com...they don't have any real "filters" so just about anyone can get on there, and it has a lot of scammers.
Neal

Based on what I've seen, you should expect to pay $1,000 or more for a 1.1 pair of indian star tortoises.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
TortieLuver said:
Does anyone know of a reliable person who sells Leopards (sub-adult or adults)?

They're only hatchlings, but spikethebest (cory) here on the forum had some leopard hatchlings.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
I order through The Turtle Source. They're a bit pricey but they ship worldwide. Any chelonian I have ever recieved from them has been in top shape. And they have a few different selections of Stars.

Niko 2010

5 Year Member
harris said:
I order through The Turtle Source. They're a bit pricey but they ship worldwide. Any chelonian I have ever recieved from them has been in top shape. And they have a few different selections of Stars.

Thank you all,
i really enjoy this forum. I really learned a lot in the last 2 days.

I Contacted Douglas Beard and i think i am going to purchase two of his babies.

Again thanks and i will post pictures as soon as i have the stars

Gus

5 Year Member
Hi Niko

Do keep us update on your star.

I'm also deeply inlove with star and getting a few more pcs.

Niko 2010 said:
harris said:

Thank you all,
i really enjoy this forum. I really learned a lot in the last 2 days.

I Contacted Douglas Beard and i think i am going to purchase two of his babies.

Again thanks and i will post pictures as soon as i have the stars

spuds

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Maui, Hawaii
Yes, I 2nd that. Doug Beard is very knowledgable and has great animals. My cousin and I bought some Sri lankan stars and Cherry head RF from Doug. Needless to say when the torts arrived we more than pleased.
Tim/Robin said:
If you would consider Sri Stars, you can't go wrong with Douglas Beard (elegans on here). Check out the for sale section and contact him. He may have some available. You won't find a better guy and he has tons of experience with Stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.