Spam popup?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
Anyone else getting a "free iPad"/prize giveaway spam pop up while viewing TFO today? It keeps popping up for me here (I'm using safari and iOS) and this seems to be the only website I am seeing it on. Just me?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
no sorry.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I just keep getting kicked off the forum
because friends with words app keeps popping up for over 2 days now :mad:
I'm finally able to look on the forum again. This happens very now and then it's very frustrating.

chaseswife

5 Year Member
I have gotten a few random popups on here today too. I thought there might be something wrong with my phone. Using Chrome.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
image.jpg I keep having to close my browser because this pops up, but I haven't seen it on any other page. I don't *think* it's on my device's end.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I've not noticed anything on the desktop browser version, but I do sometimes get hijacked on the mobile browser version. Haven't been able to isolate and make sure its the forum but it the site I visit the most on my phone.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I exclusively use the iPhone app for the forum. Heckfire, I started using it on my iPhone4 and have, over the years upgraded to this iPhone6. Before I smashed my truck, I also had the app on my iPad2. I've rarely if ever used my desktop computer for the forum. All that said, I've never ever not even once, had an issue with any spam pop ups that have tried to invade my tortoise yakking time here.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Hello Sarah, basing this on my post and the 2 preceding my post, I've come to the conclusion that you've been hacked. From what I know for fixing this issue, you can go 1 of 2 ways or a total of 2 ways with this. There is software that regular tortoise people can buy and install which will clean your computer of known hacking viruses or programs that look nasty and remove them for you. This is a good option if you feel up to the task.
The second option is to hire a professional to do this for you. If you live in a college community a repair service should be fairly easy to find. Often times these services are provided with a guarantee. If you aren't computer savvy this might be the best of the 2 options.
Or you can,(1) try on your own and end up,(2) contacting a professional. Keep in mind, I'm no computer guy by any means and I'd hire it out to someone that would be comfortable on the show, "The Big Bang Theory".

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I'm using a lap top, and nothing of the sort ever popped up.;)

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I have a mac laptop, but I usually use firefox rather than safari. I've not had any issues with pop-ups. Sounds like a virus or trojan or something :confused:

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I've tested it with two unrelated iOS mobile devices and got the popup on both so I don't think it's a virus - a predatory ad (that maybe only mobile safari allows through) seems more likely to me, but I don't know. I don't see it if I block java script with my browser.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I've tested it with two unrelated iOS mobile devices and got the popup on both so I don't think it's a virus - a predatory ad (that maybe only mobile safari allows through) seems more likely to me, but I don't know. I don't see it if I block java script with my browser.
That could be. Hopefully it goes away!