Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I haven't heard much mention of "the other" leopard tortoise here. Is anyone breeding Geochelone pardalis pardalis? Or does anyone know of a breeder in Southern CA? I'd like to get a couple of hatchlings.

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Check out kingsnake.com their is a guy selling P.pardalis leopard tortoises hatchlings out of santa ana, ca. I want one so bad, but broke at this moment.Good luck

tortoiseguy65

5 Year Member
Illinois
Hello All,
Here are some pics of my new South African Leopards. Note the distinctive speckling on the skin and the multiple spotting on both the carapace and plastron. Also these are more elongated in overall shape than babcocki. Hope you enjoy. I am looking forward to raising these guys up.

Take care
Jeff Port

Attachments

• IMG_1634.jpg
    IMG_1634.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_1651.jpg
    IMG_1651.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_1699.jpg
    IMG_1699.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1668.jpg
    IMG_1668.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 142

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
tortoiseguy65 said:
Hello All,
Here are some pics of my new South African Leopards. Note the distinctive speckling on the skin and the multiple spotting on both the carapace and plastron. Also these are more elongated in overall shape than babcocki. Hope you enjoy. I am looking forward to raising these guys up.

Take care
Jeff Port

Wow! Those are beautiful! Where did you get them?

tortoiseguy65

5 Year Member
Illinois
Thanks. Glad you like them. I purchased them from wholesaler Ben Siegel. He only got 5 from the breeder and I bought 3 of them. Looking forward to getting some more in the future. They are definitely different than babcocki.

Take care
Jeff Port

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
tortoiseguy65 said:
Thanks. Glad you like them. I purchased them from wholesaler Ben Siegel. He only got 5 from the breeder and I bought 3 of them. Looking forward to getting some more in the future. They are definitely different than babcocki.

Take care
Jeff Port

Agreed. Thanks for the info.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Holy Cow! Those babies are SO different-looking from the leopard babies usually found in the pet trade! I hatched over 200 leopard eggs several years ago and none of my babies looked like that. I'm looking forward to watching your babies grow. Please keep us informed with pictures. Wonderful to see something different!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
After seeing Jeff Port's new babies, I'm inclined to agree that there are two sub-species of leopard tortoise. Those babies are totally different from the ones usually found in the pet trade. I WANT ONE...or two...or three...

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Tortuga_terrestre said:
Check out kingsnake.com their is a guy selling P.pardalis leopard tortoises hatchlings out of santa ana, ca. I want one so bad, but broke at this moment.Good luck

Walter you had a thread about this guy before and now I'm confused. I thought your guy in Santa Ana was selling hybrids. This is one of the comments from one of our forum members that posted on your thread. Isn't Jeff Price the one you're talking about because I thought I read that in your thread?

Careful these are the hybrids, even though he will tell you they are purebred. Jeff Gee sells the only purebred ones I know of on a regular basis. I bought some from Jeff Price 6 years ago and was told by multiple experts they were not in fact true p. pardalis leopards.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
After seeing Jeff Port's new babies, I'm inclined to agree that there are two sub-species of leopard tortoise. Those babies are totally different from the ones usually found in the pet trade. I WANT ONE...or two...or three...

I know a guy here in SO CAL who has a mix too , here is a comparison of them.,Both hatched within a day apart.... see the size difference;)( different litter of course P.BAB and P. PAR). Is what he claims ... ( or maybe a mix?) . I have gotten some nice High whites from him in the past as well .
snowleps.jpg

JD~

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Im confused...is it Jeff Port or Jeff Price from Santa Ana? Why dont these P.pardalis have 2 dots like the Jeff Gee stock? Ive noticed on so called "p.pardalis";they have somewhat of a yellow tone. And not as round like the P.backocki. I spoke Jeff Price and he told me that his breeding group were all wild caughts and imported from south africa in 1992. Regardless if they are hybrids or pure;still very beautiful animals. But I do believe these 2 subspecies need to be kept separately to maintain pure bloodlines. For those who havent heard of Jeff Price here is the link:http://www.jeffpriceartglass.com/leopardtortoise/

The picture attached is from Jeff Gee.

Personally I would rather purchase a leopard tortoise from a breeder that everyone can agree on to have a pure stock of P.Pardalis. Check out the link and let me know what you guys think? Would this also apply to some sulcatas? I saw a picture on tortugavilla.com of a 200lbs, 3 foot male sulcata. And there is a 60 year old WC Male Sulcata in China Town who is big, but not that big. Lets say you have a group of pure P.Pardalis Hatchlings and they were all on the same diet and conditions. Are they all going to grow at the same rate? Are some going to be much bigger than others when they reach adult hood? Hmmmm.... I spoke to Mark Lucas of Florida about a year ago. And he told that his Sulcata Hatchlings were significantly larger than other breeders.

Attachments

• P.PARDALIS.jpg
    P.PARDALIS.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 85

tortoiseguy65

5 Year Member
Illinois
I am Jeff Port and I am from Illinois, not California. I am not the one offering possible hybrids for sale. I just purchased pure pardalis pardalis. I also found out that those I purchased were produced by **** Bartlett. I hope this clears up any confusion.

Take care,
Jeff Port

kbaker

5 Year Member
Michigan
I talked to Ben and he had gotten 5 in. I picked up the last one he had. It is an awesome tortoise. I will have to post a picture soon.:)

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
N2TORTS said:
emysemys said:

I know a guy here in SO CAL who has a mix too , here is a comparison of them.,Both hatched within a day apart.... see the size difference;)( different litter of course P.BAB and P. PAR). Is what he claims ... ( or maybe a mix?) . I have gotten some nice High whites from him in the past as well .
snowleps.jpg

JD~

I agree on the size difference of the hybrid.. I have a hybrid and the size is qite different as well... if any one wants to see a comparison of mine.. i can post pics

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
OK, now I know you're just procrastinating. ;)

And poor little BB and Temp, crying in their too-samll enclosure while mummy ignores their future housing project...such a sad story! I may have to call TPS...:rolleyes:

tortoiseguy65

5 Year Member
Illinois
kbaker said:
I talked to Ben and he had gotten 5 in. I picked up the last one he had. It is an awesome tortoise. I will have to post a picture soon.:)

Darn, I was supposed to be getting that one as well.:D He told me that he had one left and I was waiting for a reply as to when he could ship it. Oh well. Lets keep in touch.

Take care,
Jeff

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
tortoiseguy65 said:
I am Jeff Port and I am from Illinois, not California. I am not the one offering possible hybrids for sale. I just purchased pure pardalis pardalis. I also found out that those I purchased were produced by **** Bartlett. I hope this clears up any confusion.

Take care,
Jeff Port

I would love to see a picture of the adults.. and babies.. if possible

Steph... What a hard time you are giving me today! who said my enclosure was to small for them!

Do i need to do new photos of outside and inside?

and it seems like were confusing threads.. are we talking about this some where else? is this a hi jack?

tortoiseguy65

5 Year Member
Illinois
terracolson said:
tortoiseguy65 said:

Take care,
Jeff Port

I would love to see a picture of the adults.. and babies.. if possible

Pictures of my babies are posted earlier in this post. As for the adults, I am going to try to contact the Breeder **** Bartlett and see if I can get some photos and additional information on them.

Take care,
Jeff Port

Status
Not open for further replies.