What kind of leopard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
All good points Will that bring up further discussion points.

- According to the Fife's book, Car Jack was from Addo Elephant Park in South Africa.

- Yes, I do suggest that personality is individual. In the past, this very topic has been heavily debated, to the point where some of us became nasty to each other. I try to avoid getting in as deep as I did before, but suffice it to say that I don't believe personality to be a distinguishing factor. I brought it up in an earlier post because there are those who do, and they have a basis for that opinion. I just don't agree with the conclusions.

- I would be interested in this as well.

- Yes, very good point. I try to say (as often as I remember to), if you have to ask what type you have, you likely have the babcocki type. Supposedly, there are very few breeders in the US that have separated their breeding populations by export location. And fewer still that have imported from a location South Africa. So really, unless you buy from one of these sources, you probably have a babcocki. This import and export stuff is beyond my knowledge. I think Tom or someone else could offer a little more insight on this point.

- Hopefully I understand you well enough on this point, but I don't think it's a matter of poor taxonomy as it is inadequate record keeping and maybe even careless breeding. From what I understand, leopards were pooled in certain export locations from a variety of localities before being sent to the US. From there, it seems they were scattered all around with no respect for their import location or without any knowledge that there might be physical variations between them. Again, this is not my area of expertise so perhaps I'm way off.

For what it's worth, here's a list of case studies I like that are specific to leopard tortoises: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-58336.html

There is a particular one about tortoise farming in Tanzania that is the basis for some of my comments about the mixing of leopard tortoises at export locations.

Jtort

5 Year Member
So Cal
Sh3wulf said:
For what it's worth, I think your "mutt" is really pretty
This topic got way over my analytic capacity at midnight. I will probably try another read of this one tomorrow since I do find the topic fascinating. Plus I love when the "brains" on here get debating! ;)

Thanks I love my Stigmochelys pardalis muttis lol [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] I should probably continue my reading tomorrow too but I don't want to stop. It's all so interesting.

Thanks for those comparison pictures in the other thread Neal!

I know very little about taxonomy but this discussion has got me very intrigued. Thank you all! [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Good discussion by both Will and Neal.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Cause the other thread was closed, I'll dum this here...

Grobler, J. H. 1982. The leopard tortoise in the Mountain Zebra National Park. Koedoe 25:49–53.

Hailey, A., and I.M. Coulson. 1995. Habitat association of the tortoises Geochelone pardalis and Kinixys spekii in the Sengwa Wildlife Research area, Zimbabwe. Herpetological Journal 5: 305–309.

Kerley, G.I.H., M.C. Mason, C.A. Weatherby, and W.R. Branch. 1999.
The role of tortoises in the Thicket Biome, South Africa:
Important mesoherbivores in a megaherbivore dominated
ecosystem? In: Proceedings of the 1997-1998 Symposia, Desert Tortoise Council pp 34–40.

Malan, G., and W.R. Branch. 1992. Predation on the tent tortoise and leopard tortoise hatchlings by the pale chanting goshawk in the Little Karoo. South African Journal of Zoology 27:33–5.

Mason, M.C., G.I.H. Kerley, C.A. Weatherby, and W.R. Branch. 2000. Angulate and leopard tortoises in the Thicket Biome, Eastern Cape, South Africa: population and biomass estimates. African Journal of Ecology 38:147–53.

Milton, S.J. 1992. Plants eaten and dispersed by adult leopard tortoises Geochelone pardalis (Reptilia: Chelonii) in the southern Karoo. South African Journal of Zoology 27:45–9.

Rall, M., and N. Fairall. 1993. Diets and food preferences of two South African tortoises Geochelone pardalis and Psammobates oculifer. South African Journal of Wildlife Research 23:63–70.

Walker, J.B., and K. C. A. Schulz. 1984. Records of the Bont tick, Amblyomma hebraeum, from the angulate tortoise, Chersine angulata, and the leopard tortoise, Geochelone pardalis. Onderstepoort Journal of Veterinary Research 51:171–173.

If you want copies I can send them.

I met Sue Milton at her research center, found Leopards there among other areas visited in 2009.

Will

Neal said:
All good points Will that bring up further discussion points.

- According to the Fife's book, Car Jack was from Addo Elephant Park in South Africa.

- Yes, I do suggest that personality is individual. In the past, this very topic has been heavily debated, to the point where some of us became nasty to each other. I try to avoid getting in as deep as I did before, but suffice it to say that I don't believe personality to be a distinguishing factor. I brought it up in an earlier post because there are those who do, and they have a basis for that opinion. I just don't agree with the conclusions.

- I would be interested in this as well.

- Yes, very good point. I try to say (as often as I remember to), if you have to ask what type you have, you likely have the babcocki type. Supposedly, there are very few breeders in the US that have separated their breeding populations by export location. And fewer still that have imported from a location South Africa. So really, unless you buy from one of these sources, you probably have a babcocki. This import and export stuff is beyond my knowledge. I think Tom or someone else could offer a little more insight on this point.

- Hopefully I understand you well enough on this point, but I don't think it's a matter of poor taxonomy as it is inadequate record keeping and maybe even careless breeding. From what I understand, leopards were pooled in certain export locations from a variety of localities before being sent to the US. From there, it seems they were scattered all around with no respect for their import location or without any knowledge that there might be physical variations between them. Again, this is not my area of expertise so perhaps I'm way off.

For what it's worth, here's a list of case studies I like that are specific to leopard tortoises: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-58336.html

There is a particular one about tortoise farming in Tanzania that is the basis for some of my comments about the mixing of leopard tortoises at export locations.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Well Neal, I don't know if this will inspire a smile or frown, but as I sell leopards that Yvonne and I produce, like those I am head-starting now, I will refer people to this thread <http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-27409.html> and suggest that you are the authority on which "type" is which. I guess that is both the vice and virtue to publishing, at least as I have experienced it. I do consider some of the threads here legitimate "publishing" of credible information, you would be one of those 'authors'.

Will

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Certainly a smile Will, and I am honored by your comments. Personally, I feel like I have a lot more to learn to be given any authoritative title. We have several forum members that are equally as knowledgeable on the matter, and I hope to continue to learn from them and everyone else here.

Thanks Will, and if you or anyone else has any observations or experiences to add on the subject (or anything that pertains to leopards really :)) I would be most interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.