Some of my Radiateds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alanong77

5 Year Member
Im located in California, U.S.

Samstar, My largest is 10.5" and about 3500 grams last month. We will see what they come in at this month. I keep records of length and weight monthly. They all have a long way to go before breeding.

samstar

5 Year Member
Alanong77 said:
Im located in California, U.S.

Samstar, My largest is 10.5" and about 3500 grams last month. We will see what they come in at this month. I keep records of length and weight monthly. They all have a long way to go before breeding.

Impressive!

cueboy007

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
3500grams?! Are they all about that heavy around that size?
Mine are 5 inches, only 400 grams.

Alanong77

5 Year Member
Cueboy, I'm not sure, I only have mine to compare to. I have some 8" ones that are between 2100 grams-2500 grams. Maybe the experts can chime in.

cueboy007

5 Year Member
Ontario
samstar said:
Mine are around 6" and weigh in between 1100-1200grams

Only 1 inch difference, the weight is almost triple!!

I wonder if mine are underweight, or they just put on weight exponentially after each inch of growth.

Anyone else with 5" rads?

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
I just did a quick measurement and weight on one of mine for you. She is ~5.75" and 680 grams.

samstar

5 Year Member
cueboy007 said:
samstar said:
Mine are around 6" and weigh in between 1100-1200grams

Only 1 inch difference, the weight is almost triple!!

I wonder if mine are underweight, or they just put on weight exponentially after each inch of growth.

Anyone else with 5" rads?

Important thing is that it has to feel like a rock when you pick it up, heavy.

Radiated

5 Year Member
how can u make ur tortoise heavier if they just won't eat anymore than normal? How can u make them grow faster? Any supplements that are not harmful?

Alanong77

5 Year Member
Keep in mind, even a difference of 1" in a radiated is huge in overall size. They are very "bulky" and when i compare my 8" one to my 9" one , the difference really stands out. They get much wider and taller as they grow. Samstar is right. They have to feel heavy when picking them up.

Radiated- I dont try to speed up their growth by any means. I do supplement their food with vitamins and calcium every other day. I just ensure they have food out for them at all times. I do throw away uneaten greens on a daily basis. I hate seeing an empty tray of food.

cueboy007

5 Year Member
Ontario
It's better let them grow at a natural rate, it will be healthier for them. By making them grow faster it's like injecting ourselves with steroids to look bigger.

Tortoises in the wild don't always have an abundance of food, they starve weeks when the drought season comes.

I always try to give them the best nutrition, and let nature takes its course.

Status
Not open for further replies.