10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Jekerill:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Your tortoises are beautiful.

What would you like us to call you?

and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

Jekirill

5 Year Member
first of all i would like to thank you everybody.the forum is woundeful and i like a lot to read all the post about the radiata.i wrote from italy and i'm a big fan of aldabraman and dr.bill zovickian.it's since five years that i'm collecting radiata all over the europe always trying to find the most coloured,the subject with more rays or simmetrical rays.i've seen that a lot of you have really nice coloured torts.in europe and in particular in italy the problem is to find animals with good documents(cites).insted i've seen that in usa to buy a radiata you must have a permit isnt it?i saw that a lots of you have angonoka(yniphora),is it possible to buy angonoka with documents in usa?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jekerill:

Those members that you see with the yniphora are either in China, or are showing tortoises that reside in zoos.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Very Nice radiatas, and is that an aldbra or galop?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well the way our laws are set up here in the US. You cannot take an endangered species across state lines without a permit for commercial purposes (this means the purchase of one) you can possess ploughshare tortoises but you have to have documented evidence of being captive bred and have an endangered species specific permit. They are very difficult to get. United states fish and wildlife basically has to vote under congress to allow the applicant of that person filing the permit to "amend" the endangered species act that was established in 1970's. It's a very grew some process and usually fails as most international breeders of ploughshare sells them and will not provide proper documentation for the applicant.

Leading to a near impossible acquisition of the species. Some people have them most are zoos. Or USFW confiscated accredited facilities. I cared for some small ones that were smuggled into Houston for a couple of months before they were permanent placed at a facility.

Awesome species just very sad that they are all over the black market.

Jekirill said:
first of all i would like to thank you everybody.the forum is woundeful and i like a lot to read all the post about the radiata.i wrote from italy and i'm a big fan of aldabraman and dr.bill zovickian.it's since five years that i'm collecting radiata all over the europe always trying to find the most coloured,the subject with more rays or simmetrical rays.i've seen that a lot of you have really nice coloured torts.in europe and in particular in italy the problem is to find animals with good documents(cites).insted i've seen that in usa to buy a radiata you must have a permit isnt it?i saw that a lots of you have angonoka(yniphora),is it possible to buy angonoka with documents in usa?

Jacob said:

They look like Aldabras to me. I can't see a nutchel scute showing that they're gallops. But it is a side photo so I could be wrong.

cueboy007

5 Year Member
Ontario
What a collection, thanks for posting pics.

Do you find it dusty with soil as substrate? I used it for a while, but my whole place was covered in a thin layer of dust.

samstar

5 Year Member
Nice collection you got there. I think we all are lucky enough to own Radiateds although I would love to own the Ploughshare.

Jekirill

5 Year Member
tortadise said:
Well the way our laws are set up here in the US. You cannot take an endangered species across state lines without a permit for commercial purposes (this means the purchase of one) you can possess ploughshare tortoises but you have to have documented evidence of being captive bred and have an endangered species specific permit. They are very difficult to get. United states fish and wildlife basically has to vote under congress to allow the applicant of that person filing the permit to "amend" the endangered species act that was established in 1970's. It's a very grew some process and usually fails as most international breeders of ploughshare sells them and will not provide proper documentation for the applicant.

Leading to a near impossible acquisition of the species. Some people have them most are zoos. Or USFW confiscated accredited facilities. I cared for some small ones that were smuggled into Houston for a couple of months before they were permanent placed at a facility.

Awesome species just very sad that they are all over the black market.

Jekirill said:

Jacob said:

They look like Aldabras to me. I can't see a nutchel scute showing that they're gallops. But it is a side photo so I could be wrong.

they are aldabras

Jekirill

5 Year Member
cueboy007 said:
What a collection, thanks for posting pics.

Do you find it dusty with soil as substrate? I used it for a while, but my whole place was covered in a thin layer of dust.
it is true but i use to moisten them twice a day in particular when they are really young.

Jekirill

5 Year Member
samstar said:
Nice collection you got there. I think we all are lucky enough to own Radiateds although I would love to own the Ploughshare.

thenk you very much.i'm agree with you we are lucky to have the possibility to own this animal,also the radiated it will be extinct in nature in ten-twenty years.i think that the only way to save these gorgeus animal are the reproduction programs both public or private

Status
Not open for further replies.