Hatchling-yearling enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Here are some photos of how I set up my baby tortoises. I have used this method for radiateds, russians, and burmese stars. I will be using this method on some greeks I will be obtaining as well. The difference between the tropical and mediterranean species is how moist I keep the sphagnum moss. The Radiateds and Burmese get more moisture compared to the Russians.

I put a piece of cardboard over the sphagnum moss to help keep the moss moist and give the hatchlings "a better sense of security". I usually throw the food on a lid (obtained from sour cream or cottage cheese). Under everything is newspaper.

The tupperware used is pretty small unless I am maintaining a lot more animals. I cut the lids in half and keep one-half of the lid over the "humid hide".

Included are some photos of some of my babies. Pics of the russians are in the classifieds section

Norman
enclose1.jpg

enclose2.jpg

enclose3.jpg

two-1.jpg

yearling.jpg

yellow.jpg

Greg Knoell

10 Year Member!
Laveen, AZ
Norm, can I have one of your baby Radiateds?...Please?...I'll take good care of it I promise!!...lol

Outstanding smooth growth, yet a very simple setup. Norman takes fantastic care of his animals as you can see.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Thanks everyone!

Greg, you know whenever you are ready....I can get you some of the best prices around.

Tom, my room is heated. The temps range in low 80s to high 80s(a few hours in the high range). The hides are cooler though. I found that when I had a heat spot in the cage, the tortoises would have dry eyes and the growth wasn't as smooth.

This has worked well for me in Arizona.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
gummybearpoop said:
Thanks everyone!

Greg, you know whenever you are ready....I can get you some of the best prices around.

Tom, my room is heated. The temps range in low 80s to high 80s(a few hours in the high range). The hides are cooler though. I found that when I had a heat spot in the cage, the tortoises would have dry eyes and the growth wasn't as smooth.

This has worked well for me in Arizona.

Very interesting. I've considered this for a while, but not seen anyone doing it. The results you produce are fantastic.

Both my leopards and sulcatas pile up under the heat lamps, even when room temps are in the 90's, and it does dry out their shells. I've been afraid to deprive them of their hot spots, but seeing your operation and its results is making me reconsider.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Tom,

I would try with the sulcatas first. Leopards are one of the iffy species sometimes. Though my friend found a leopard that survived the winter and had good weight on it. No runny nose despite it getting down to freezing here. He thinks that it hid under hay for the winter.

Actually, I thought about getting some leopards & sri lankans (both species that seem to pyramid easily) from a friend just to see how smooth of a shell I can get them to develop. A burmese star tortoise (that I no longer have) was developing a very smooth and nice shell.

I let the temps drop down to high 70s to low 80s. I did subject my radiateds to the 60s early in the year....maybe even 50s for part of the day. Babies and yearlings. Oh yeah and they spent some time outside in the 120 degree heat. Shade and hides provided of course.

Also, I think that tortoises have "growing seasons" that are mirrored by wet seasons in the wild, where food is more plenty. Then, there are periods where they don't get much food mostly in dry seasons. Desert tortoises are most active in spring and monsoon when food is plenty. We radio-tracked a juvenile that was relatively inactive for almost a month during the dry season.
My plan is to cut down on feeding during the winter time as well....maybe feed the babies every other day instead of everyday during the summer. The yearlings will get fed 2-3 times a week. My larger animals twice a week. Maybe I will feed them more frequently but less quantity. Still have to decide that part. Also, during the wet seasons, usually the humidity is higher - and the places the tortoises hide are usually even more moist. So, while tortoises are eating AND growing it seems to coincide with available moisture. Dry season & less humidity/available moisture coincide with less food/less growth.

Of course, this doesn't apply to all tortoise species.

Keeping animals in captivity makes it tempting to overfeed our animals. My opinion. Many animals are opportunistic. Sometimes opportunities to feed don't come very often.

We will see my results over time.....hopefully, they are positive due to the financial investment. :p

Though, I plan to get some mediterranean species...and experiment with leos/stars.

There are probably lots of misinterpretations above and I should've replied via email....but oh well....damage is done and now I am publicly nude. ;)

Norman

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey Norman. Don't sweat it. That all good and interesting food for thought.

I fed my adult sulcatas just the way you are describing for the first 10 years or so. They still pyramided and now at 12 years old I have stunted, "mini-sulcatas". Bert is around 45 pounds and Scooter is right around 50. Delores, my ten year old female is just about 35 pounds. Their babies will be bigger than them in an other 3-4 years at the rate they are growing. I tried the low food, skip a day thing and found it not only ineffective, but detrimental. My hatchlings eat a ton, twice a day and they are doing great. Totally smooth and healthier than any I've seen.

Just sharing how it went for me. Your torts look way better than mine ever did, so I'll be watching your progress and learning.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Thanks Tom

I plan to feed them less in the winter AND make sure they have a hide. I don't think it needs to be as humid if temps are cooler and food isn't offered as much. In summer months I spray the humid hide every day or two.

Did you keep your sulcatas outside and let them burrow?

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
i love your setup norm. very simple, yet it meets the needs of the tortoises. i really wish i lived in arizona, i would save so much on my heating bill! oh, and yes your radiated tortoises are amazing. im not going to lie im quite jealous!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
gummybearpoop said:
Thanks Tom

I plan to feed them less in the winter AND make sure they have a hide. I don't think it needs to be as humid if temps are cooler and food isn't offered as much. In summer months I spray the humid hide every day or two.

Did you keep your sulcatas outside and let them burrow?

They were outside here in the CA high Desert in a 15x30' pen from the time they were hatchlings. If the temp was sunny and above 70 they spent the whole day outside running around. I always brought them in at night and anytime the weather wasn't warm or sunny enough.

They never tried to burrow. They just ran around and hid among the weeds and stuff.

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
two-1.jpg

yearling.jpg

yellow.jpg

Norman-
Are the bottom two photos the same animals as the two animals in the first photo? I know the one is that you have as your profile photo. What about the third animal in the tub group or is that it in the second photo...you can email me if you want.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
John,

The bottom animal is the same as the animal in the tub and is also the bottom animal in the pic of two radiata. But the middle pic is a different animal, it was born in 2009.....all the others were born in 2010. All unrelated.

Here are some photos of my yearling-subadult indoor enclosures...

Here are the yearlings. I layer the hidespots

First a piece of cardboard or thick paper
yearlings1.jpg

Next, sphagnum moss & newspaper
yearlings2.jpg

Last tortoises with sphagnum moss
yearlings3.jpg

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
gummybearpoop said:
John,

The bottom animal is the same as the animal in the tub and is also the bottom animal in the pic of two radiata. But the middle pic is a different animal, it was born in 2009.....all the others were born in 2010. All unrelated.

Those are nice looking animals gummybear. Did you hatch them yourself?

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
Norman-

OK, I though it looked like another animal but wanted to check.

I guess you don't cut your coupons though? LOL

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
coastal said:
Norman-

OK, I though it looked like another animal but wanted to check.

I guess you don't cut your coupons though? LOL

Haha John! I should cut more coupons, but I always forget to use'em and they expire.

Where are the photos of your radiateds? I think I have only seen a photo of one of yours.
:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.