Some OF my PLumies ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Well along with the torts...comes my passion for plants. X~specially plumerias ~
Here is some of the many colors. I grow.
Mahalo~
JD:shy:
ourplumies.jpg
westmin2-Copy.jpg
P1010315.jpg

Madortoise

5 Year Member
awwww.....I love love love the scent of plumeria. They are gorgeous!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Thanks guys ! ...=:>) ... I could flood this thread.. with over 2oo specimans and about 30 colors...

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
DonaTello said:
Please flood JD.!!

you asked for it ! ... :p....here just a few for now ...I'll post more if folks take interest....I hope this dosnt clash " with the tort stuff"
:p:p:p
4C-08.jpg
DonSurfnitetime09.jpg
broer08.jpg
champange1-09.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Are they in pots, or in the ground? Do they freeze and have to be protected during the winter?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Are they in pots, or in the ground? Do they freeze and have to be protected during the winter?

80% in pots /... and about 20 " mother plants" in the ground. Yes the frost kills them .... I lost over 200 individuals about 2 years back when we had extreme temp drop here. I invested in a pop up 7x12 green house just in case that happens again.
Lesson learned..... eh? Last year was amazing I had blooms at X mas!
WAY too COOL huh?;)
30-.jpg
30.jpg

JD~:p

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
They are really pretty. Are they a plant that does well inside? I have been looking for some house plants now that my kids are getting older. What kind of sun do they like?

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
I LOVE them! Thanks for the pictures! [We definitely won't complain if you post more! :p]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm just curious, JD...does your family share your interest in tortoises and plants? Its always fun to have someone handy to talk about these things with. My family could care less about my tortoises.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
I'm just curious, JD...does your family share your interest in tortoises and plants? Its always fun to have someone handy to talk about these things with. My family could care less about my tortoises.

Well..... like I mentioned before my grand parents were VERY into plants. My G ma has an EPI she " Hybred" ..and got regestered pat. pend ...its named after her...they have been long passed now ..but as a kid I loved hanging in the gardens with them.My love for animals I guess stems from being an only child.... " I had to keep my self occupied" I have only one cousin he is an only child...super small family.
Pops is a well known Scientist at Scripps... I guess thats where the analytical part took place.
Single and no kids ... the torts,bird and other critters keep me company...its alot of work to maintain ( even the plants) ...but I have managed thus far. Plus its a wonderful hobby ... and I love to see others smile when they view the " life" around us ! Also, the taps on the back are a nice reminder of the hard work and love that goes into it~ ...and like you mentioned my parents could care less too ... although they know since age 8 Ive been a plant@ herp'..knucklehead and it keeps me happy .. they just cant justify the $$ I spend on my hobbies:D
Although ... I got my boss into torts ..around the 1st of the year....and he is up to 6 now! ( hahaha ) ....
Ok so.. now .. ya all know about me :p
More Neato photos to follow...
P1010326.jpg

JD~:shy:

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Very pretty!! We have a few plumeria plants in my basement- we put them outside in the summer and they do well. They're just the common white ones- so pretty though!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
My goodness, I could almost move to California just for the opportunity to grow beautiful flowers year-round. :cool:

I am not familiar with "plumeria", and I do grow a respectable variety of flowers and plants each summer...could it be grown as an annual in Colorado do you think? Or even as a perennial? :D

Those blossoms have such striking and deep colors...*SIGH* :rolleyes:

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
Stephanie Logan said:
My goodness, I could almost move to California just for the opportunity to grow beautiful flowers year-round. :cool:

I am not familiar with "plumeria", and I do grow a respectable variety of flowers and plants each summer...could it be grown as an annual in Colorado do you think? Or even as a perennial? :D

Come to CA!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I think everyone should move to Cali
(says the girl from Illinois- ugh)

And Steph, we keep our plumeria plants in the house over the winter and put them outside when it's warm enough :)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Stephanie Logan said:

Plumerias (Frangipani) also known as the Lei flower, is native to warm tropical areas of the Pacific Islands, Caribbean, South America and Mexico. Plumerias can grow to be large shrubs or even small trees in mild areas of the U.S. In tropical regions, Plumeria may reach a height of 30' to 40' and half as wide. They have widely spaced thick succulent branches, round or pointed, long leather, fleshy leaves in clusters near the branch tips. Sensitive to cold, leaves tend to fall in early winter since they are deciduous. In colder climates they should be grown in containers. They make beautiful potted plants for the patio or greenhouse. In milder climates, plumeria can be grown outdoors in the ground, where they may be a small beautiful landscape trees. When temperatures dip into the low 40's they may be stored in their containers or uprooted carefully trying to take as much root as possible and stored over winter in a heated basement or garage where temperatures are kept above freezing. As soon as temperatures rise outdoors they can be brought out and planted again. They will resume growth, leaf out and begin to grow as if nothing happened. The real payoff comes during the early summer through the early fall months, when very fragrant clusters of showy, waxy flowers provide the makings for your own Hawaiian Lei. There is absolutely nothing like the sweet fragrance of Plumeria in flower, with fragrances of jasmine, citrus, spices, gardenia, and other indescribable scents. These flowers are treasured by the Polynesian Islanders for their durability, fragrances and colors of whites, yellows, pinks, reds, and multiple pastels. Flowering can last up to 3 months at a time producing new blooms everyday. Once picked, a bloom can last for several days without wilting if kept in water.
JD~:D

Status
Not open for further replies.