Soil Recommendations

SarahP_794

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hey all,
I know this is common topic but I am still struggling to pick the right soil to start growing my own greens for my little dude. Let me know if there are any store bought organic soils that you’ve had luck with? At this point I was just trying to go organic and stay away from anything with perlite.

Thank you!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey all,
I know this is common topic but I am still struggling to pick the right soil to start growing my own greens for my little dude. Let me know if there are any store bought organic soils that you’ve had luck with? At this point I was just trying to go organic and stay away from anything with perlite.

Thank you!!
Perlite is fine for growing for plants as long as your tortoise doesn't have direct access tot he perlite. Likewise, fertilizers are good too, but a tortoise should never have direct contact with the fertilizer product. What you need to avoid is any sort of "weed n feed", pesticides, fungicides, or other such chemical poisons.

It can be tough. You will have to spend a few minutes reading the ingredients labels to find the right one. I would not worry about "organic" soil. The word doesn't mean what most people think it means, and all soil is made from primarily organic material.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Coconut Coir + vermiculite + compost

1/3-1/3-1/3 is the basic mix, but the amounts of each really depend on your preferences. Just add a bit of compost for subsequent plantings to replenish nutrients.