Growing Food. Organic Soil?

peridot

Location (City and/or State)
NC
I was planning on planting some weeds and plants for my tortoise to eat this summer, but had a quick question about the soil. I bought this organic soil, but it looks like it has perlite in it? Does that matter? He wont be interacting with the soil at all.

I replanted a hibiscus with this soil last year. Should it be ok? If this is not ok, what organic soil do you all recommend?

Photos of the brand and soil attached.

Attachments

• IMG_6394 2.jpg
    IMG_6394 2.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6395 2.jpg
    IMG_6395 2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
There is indeed perlite that has been evaluated for growing organic plants. I do not know the precise nature of the analysis done on it, but I see it, and have used both organic perlite and vermiculite.

Not All, but most organic soils are tested for agro chemical residue, and/or a high non-composted fecal content. Most backyard soil is 'organic' less the testing. Often three years is what it takes for crops to go from agro chemical to organic. During that three years with no agro chemicals, the crops are called 'transition, no direct application, but maybe some residue.

Somewhere on the bag should be the name of the organization that certified the content as organic.

peridot

NC
There is indeed perlite that has been evaluated for growing organic plants. I do not know the precise nature of the analysis done on it, but I see it, and have used both organic perlite and vermiculite.

Not All, but most organic soils are tested for agro chemical residue, and/or a high non-composted fecal content. Most backyard soil is 'organic' less the testing. Often three years is what it takes for crops to go from agro chemical to organic. During that three years with no agro chemicals, the crops are called 'transition, no direct application, but maybe some residue.

Somewhere on the bag should be the name of the organization that certified the content as organic.

Ok! Thank you! So this should be safe to use for growing their food? Or do I need to find something else? Unfortunately, our backyard soil was treated for weeds, so I know it's unsafe to grow there. I'll check the bag for more information once I get home!

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Ok! Thank you! So this should be safe to use for growing their food? Or do I need to find something else? Unfortunately, our backyard soil was treated for weeds, so I know it's unsafe to grow there. I'll check the bag for more information once I get home!
Even your backyard soil should be okay, after a few years of no sprays.