Soil Question

Jennifer M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Georgia
I have recently planted Hibiscus, Rapina, Red Clover, Holly Hock, etc in seed starting kits. Some of them started to sprout but have now died off. I used fine peat moss because I knew it didn't have additives, perlite, vermiculite. I also had an elephant grass bulb/root that I planted in a pot of peat moss. What soil can I use? I checked my local Home Depot and Lowe's. They have organic soil but it has perlite in it... Advice please. I'm trying really hard to grow some nice edible plants but boy this is frustrating.

Brandon Richards

Southern California
Hi Jennifer I work for a soil company peat moss by it self will not allow the plants roots to breath and peat moss can also repell water if it becomes dry, an organic seed starting mix is the best way to start seeds. also perlite and vermiculite are expanded with heat only they are natural mind items and are not considered additives.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Are you trying to grow the plants in an indoor area? and are you trying to grow the plants in your tortoise's enclosure? More than likely you don't have enough bright light for plants to grow indoors.

I would get a couple or three kitty litter trays and put potting soil in them. Sow your seeds in the trays and place them outside in the sun. When you have them growing and nicely established, place one tray in the tortoise's enclosure, sunk down into the substrate so the tortoise can get into it. When he has demolished that tray, rotate that one back outside and bring in another one. (While seeds are germinating, you have to keep the soil moist)

Brandon Richards

Southern California
Euryhogs I would need to see the list of the ingredients and look at the derived from statement on the bag to give you a definitive answer, the labeling requirements for Organic materials might be very different to what I'm use to here on my side of the pond.

Brandon Richards

Southern California
Is there a fertilizer that is safe around tortoises?
Compost teas are more of an aid to organic fertilizers as it adds beneficial microbes back into the soil that will help break down organic proteins to make them plant available, but teas alone don't add that much nutrients. When it comes to what fertilizers are safe its a little easier to find out what to avoid when buying soil or fertilizer, polymer coatings, ureas, biosolid aka sewage sludge, Ammonium Nitrate, Ammonium Phosphate, Superphosphate, and Potassium Sulfate. On the back of the soil or fertilizer bag look for the derived from statement that says things like Bat Guano, Manure, Seaweed, feather meal, oyster shell, fish meal, bone meal, and Worm Castings you want to be able to pronounce what's on the bag.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Compost teas are more of an aid to organic fertilizers as it adds beneficial microbes back into the soil that will help break down organic proteins to make them plant available, but teas alone don't add that much nutrients. When it comes to what fertilizers are safe its a little easier to find out what to avoid when buying soil or fertilizer, polymer coatings, ureas, biosolid aka sewage sludge, Ammonium Nitrate, Ammonium Phosphate, Superphosphate, and Potassium Sulfate. On the back of the soil or fertilizer bag look for the derived from statement that says things like Bat Guano, Manure, Seaweed, feather meal, oyster shell, fish meal, bone meal, and Worm Castings you want to be able to pronounce what's on the bag.
My husband wants to buy something like steer manure. So that is safe? I wondered about the hormones they feed steers these days.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
My husband wants to buy something like steer manure. So that is safe? I wondered about the hormones they feed steers these days.
If it's composted before you buy it it should be ok . But if it's not composted . It will heat up and get hot maybe 180 degrees . And burn the plants .

Brandon Richards

Southern California
Yes it is, most of the Steer manure sold comes from Dariy cow productions were the use of hormones are mostly prohibited and cows treated with antibiotics or medications have to be taken out of milk production for a time for it to detox. Personally I am not a big fan of steer manure as it's always very high in potassium.