Soft plastron

Hey guys! I haven't posted recently. Three days ago I purchased a two week old sulcata that I named Myrtle :) my Dudley was not a baby when I purchased him, so this is new territory. I noticed Myrtles shell was kind of wrinkled, but I know that's from being squished in an egg, however I was looking at his plastron today and saw that it was wrinkled as well in the center and a little soft- is this common? And about when should it harden up? He is in a closed chamber habitat around 100F under the basking lamp, 90F on the "cool" side and the humidity stays around 82%. I've been taking him outside for about 4 hours in the morning before it gets too hot.He hasn't eaten up until today when I got him to eat collard greens. Tomorrow I will chop everything up and get some grass in his diet. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1499055585.802938.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
How soft is soft? Babies should have some give to the plastron. Kind of like a plastic butter tub lid.

It should not feel spongy.

I can't tell from the picture, but does the tortoise still have an egg tooth?

Where did you get it and how was it started? Soft plastron and lack of appetite on a dry started tortoise can be a bad sign.

How soft is soft? Babies should have some give to the plastron. Kind of like a plastic butter tub lid.

It should not feel spongy.

I can't tell from the picture, but does the tortoise still have an egg tooth?

Where did you get it and how was it started? Soft plastron and lack of appetite on a dry started tortoise can be a bad sign.

No, It doesn't feel spongy, it just has some give to it. Butter tub lid is a good description of it. I believe he does still have his egg tooth, but I'm not 100% sure, I'll post a better pic below. I got him from a breeder in Frisco Tx. They were started dry- & though this may be no indication of health, all of his tortoises were smooth & very active & I got to see them chow down on grasses, leafy greens & mazuri. I did talk to him about the closed chamber habitat I have set up for him & the benefits though I don't know if he'll convert. Myrtle has been very active, gets soaked daily- by the breeder and now myself, and goes in and out of his water dish of his own accord. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1499063486.171021.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1499063519.092124.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would lower the 90 temp to 80 day and night unless there is a 80 area available. You don't want to over heat him either.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would lower the 90 temp to 80 day and night unless there is a 80 area available. You don't want to over heat him either.

I wouldn't. 90 is a good ambient day temp for a baby sulcata. All of my closed chambers creep into the high 80s or low 90s during the day, with an overnight low of 80. They won't overheat until you start reaching the triple digits.

Higher daytime ambient temps make them stay out from under the desiccating basking lamp more, and this also simulates the hotter temps these guys would experience in the wild.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No, It doesn't feel spongy, it just has some give to it. Butter tub lid is a good description of it. I believe he does still have his egg tooth, but I'm not 100% sure, I'll post a better pic below. I got him from a breeder in Frisco Tx. They were started dry- & though this may be no indication of health, all of his tortoises were smooth & very active & I got to see them chow down on grasses, leafy greens & mazuri. I did talk to him about the closed chamber habitat I have set up for him & the benefits though I don't know if he'll convert. Myrtle has been very active, gets soaked daily- by the breeder and now myself, and goes in and out of his water dish of his own accord.

If the baby was and is getting soaked daily, then you are not likely to experience a problem. Add in the good diet and regular sunshine, and the probability of any soft plastron issues goes down even further.

Your babies does still have an egg tooth and this indicates that the age assessment was probably accurate. Some unscrupulous breeders will claim a tiny baby is older than it is because they think that is what the buyer wants to hear. Looks like you found a decent breeder. My only note would be that two weeks old is awful early to let them go. I'll only do that when selling to an experienced tortoise keeper who really knows what they are doing. I usually hold mine for at least a month before selling. Babies don't like being moved. It puts them "off" for a few days sometimes.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry about that, I have always read over and over to keep it at 80, 85 the highest. As in the wild they can find cooler spots if need be, in most enclosures they can't. Error on the safer side of 80 as not everyone has the proper equipment or enclosures at least in the beginning.
I wouldn't. 90 is a good ambient day temp for a baby sulcata. All of my closed chambers creep into the high 80s or low 90s during the day, with an overnight low of 80. They won't overheat until you start reaching the triple digits.

Higher daytime ambient temps make them stay out from under the desiccating basking lamp more, and this also simulates the hotter temps these guys would experience in the wild.[/QUOT

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Higher daytime ambient temps make them stay out from under the desiccating basking lamp more, and this also simulates the hotter temps these guys would experience in the wild.
It also does not confuse them if they are reading the care sheet that also says 80.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It also does not confuse them if they are reading the care sheet that also says 80.

The care sheet needs revisions, but I'm not able to do it, so I just let it stand. It should really say, "Ambient should be no lower than 80, but drifting up to 90 during the heat of the day is good…"

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The care sheet needs revisions, but I'm not able to do it, so I just let it stand. It should really say, "Ambient should be no lower than 80, but drifting up to 90 during the heat of the day is good…"
Would you like me to change it?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Would you like me to change it?

Yes. Thank you.

I'll have to sit down and make full revisions. I won't have time for this until at least next week. Maybe not until the week after that. I'll contact you when I get some time.