Soaking? (Pellets)

Aloysius Taschse

Location (City and/or State)
Mainly Texas
Hello everyone!

My tortoise Kiwi has been growing and eating great, and seems to be very happy. I was just wondering if it is okay to soak her Mazuri, because she can't and won't even try to eat the dry pellets. I figured it was no harm in the beginning, but I just wanted to make sure. Also, in the house there are two different types of water: filtered water (downstairs) and city water (upstairs). Because Kiwi lives upstairs, I generally used that sink. I got concerned though when I learned this difference when my pet betta fish died when I poured about 1 or so liters of this city water into the tank... Anyways, I just wanted a confirmation that I'm doing things right. Any responses are welcome, and merry christmas!

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
Soaking mazuri is fine and very typical. As for your water, if it’s save for you to drink it’s safe for the tortoise. Fish have a much closer relationship to their water and are more sensitive to chlorine and other chemicals. I think you are fine.

Reactions: Tom

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Tortoise pellets are supposed to be soaked in water before feeding :)

Few will touch them dry... and the moisture helps keep your tortoise hydrated too