So remember the weird noise...

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Do you all remember the video of the croak like sound Freckles made when she was rock climbing?
I mentioned I had heard it before but hadn't made note of it too much.
Well this morning I was soaking the trio and when it was time to put them back into the enclosure, I noticed Beans was starting to poo so I put the other two up, leaving Beans alone in the soaking pan. I let her sit almost 10 more minutes as I was readying for breakfast. The pan was on the kitchen table near the enclosure. I stopped to check her water temp and right about that time she loudly made that same croaking sound. Much louder than Freckles did on the video.
She just made the sound once as she was walking away towards the corner of the pan.
I just want to clarify this sound is not jaw clicking or beak clicking. I've heard that plenty and it's quite different. This sounds like a combination of a frog cracking and a baby crocodile squawking. Lol
I'm really curious about this sound and if they stop making it once they reach a certain size/maturity level. What's it's purpose?

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I haven't heard mine make any noises like that, but my guess is they are just expelling air faster than usual. You have some unique characters there!

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Greg T said:
I haven't heard mine make any noises like that, but my guess is they are just expelling air faster than usual. You have some unique characters there!

I have you to thank for 2/3 of the awesomeness of my mini herd LOL.

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Where's the link to the sound? I'm curious. Benny occasionally squeaks when he's expelling air quickly, mostly when I startle him

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Here is the long version.
http://youtu.be/l1zvrTzTMgg

Here is a shorter clip of the part where she makes the sound. (Easier to repeat this one)
http://youtu.be/U0G9t3N2Qb0

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

Sh3wulf said:
Where's the link to the sound? I'm curious. Benny occasionally squeaks when he's expelling air quickly, mostly when I startle him

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

compassrose26

5 Year Member
Michigan
Hey I've be searching every thread trying to find some information on this sound because mine started doing it, too! Did you ever find out what it is? Should I be worried? No nasal discharge or anything

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Hey I've be searching every thread trying to find some information on this sound because mine started doing it, too! Did you ever find out what it is? Should I be worried? No nasal discharge or anything

They've never been sick and they only make the sound occasionally. Tortoise croaking, who knew LOL.

Elohi(Earth)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Are your tortoises babies to? Maybe it is just a sound that baby tortoises make unless somebody has heard it from their adult Tortoise. Sometimes babies of different species just make noises for reasons we don't really know :) just a thought.

compassrose26

5 Year Member
Michigan
Are your tortoises babies to? Maybe it is just a sound that baby tortoises make unless somebody has heard it from their adult Tortoise. Sometimes babies of different species just make noises for reasons we don't really know :) just a thought.

Yes they are babies. Only one did it for a few weeks... But I rubbed on the bottom of her neck and it immediately stopped. Maybe something was stuck?

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
My tort makes these sounds when he's drinking, so I believe he is swallowing whatever is in his mouth!

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Benny was making a noise this morning while sitting on top of his breakfast. Sort of looked like a challenge

dds7155

5 Year Member
Only Noise mine make is passing Gas ! i call one of the gas passer,,

dds7155

5 Year Member
i need to edit that,, it should say 'I call one of them gas passer'