Pyramiding?!?!

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
julietteq said:
will raising it work if I foil the gap between the dome and the plexiglas?

This will not work unless you make the "hole" where the lights shine through wider as well. The idea is to make the area the lights cover bigger. How about you divide your enclosure in 2 sections. One section can be closed and you can use a ceramic heater to heat up the enclosure and keep it nice and moist. the other part will be open, allowing you to raise the lights easily.

Will they not continue to pyramid if they spend too much time in the open drier section? What about keeping that side warm enough?

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

mikeh

5 Year Member
100watt MVB is the lowest on the US market. There is "70W" MVB which in reality is 140W. Another nice marketing scheme.

Make a simple rectangular frame that fits exactly on top of the enclosure from 6"x3/4" basic pine boards from HD. Attach it to the top of the bin or bottom of the plexi with heavy duty double sided outdoor 1" tape.
This will raise the plexi and fixtures another 5 1/2".

The tort may also be going thru transitional growth from dry to humid. The newest ring appears to be deepest but also the widest. It may get even wider and then fill in from bottom upward as long as the keratin remains well hydrated.

I went thru the same scenario. One month old leo housed on plywood floor and hot lights showing first signs of pyramiding when I got him appeared to only get worse couple months later in humid environment. I was puzzled but kept at it. 4 months later the new, wide and deep ring that made it look worse filled in completely. Continued growth since is so smooth I can't even see rings. The tort is a slow slow grower though. I'll try look for before and after photos.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Another question...
While it's cold again today, I live in south Texas where it's usually warm to hot and there is usually plenty of sunshine. How often would my Leo's need to be outside in good quality sunshine to eliminate the need for their mvb or a fluorescent tube light?
Could I put them on a sunshine schedule and just keep their enclosure warm with CHE and incandescent bulbs? I'm a stay at home mom and while I'm pretty busy playing taxi for my older kids and teacher/mom to my 2 yr old, I have plenty of time to take them outside for sunshine.
I don't know how to tag to experts. Does @ work?
@Tom
@Team Gomberg
@Greg T
@AzSulcata
@i can't think of who else has leopards right off the top of my head.

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
The @ doesn't do anything as far as I know.

I'm another stay at home Mom ;) and I have never used artificial UV lighting. I think you will do just fine without it.
I suggest you create a 4 wall barrier so you don't have to try and follow all 3 with your eyes. Screw together a few 2"x6" boards and staple hardware cloth to one side. Or use the black tub for a quick sunning pen.
If your guys (girls) can have at least a few hours of sun a week throughout the year, having to miss some time outdoors in winter won't do any harm. If you have 20min of warm sunshine one day, then 6 days of cold, you'll be ok waiting for the next "good day" to get them out again.
Does this help?

I believe Tom has said it this way, he's never seen a tortoise develop MBD from having at least 20min of natural sunshine each week. But of course more is better.

We keep artificial UV lights on for 12+ hrs because they pale in comparison to the sun. They don't need the 12+ hrs of sunshine. In fact, to my knowledge we are still unclear just how much UV exposure they really need.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Team Gomberg said:
The @ doesn't do anything as far as I know.

I'm another stay at home Mom ;) and I have never used artificial UV lighting. I think you will do just fine without it.
I suggest you create a 4 wall barrier so you don't have to try and follow all 3 with your eyes. Screw together a few 2"x6" boards and staple hardware cloth to one side. Or use the black tub for a quick sunning pen.
If your guys (girls) can have at least a few hours of sun a week throughout the year, having to miss some time outdoors in winter won't do any harm. If you have 20min of warm sunshine one day, then 6 days of cold, you'll be ok waiting for the next "good day" to get them out again.
Does this help?

Immensely! Thank you Heather. I took their mvb out today and swapped it for a 65 watt incandescent flood bulb. It's not nearly as hot but I felt better about beans soaking in the water dish under that than the mvb, since I put it over the water dish yesterday or the day before.

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
What are your new temps?
I've had basking temps up to 110F in the past but in these least few months I've lowered them to low 90's-95F and am much happier with it.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
95 was the warmest I had with the flood bulb. I felt better about that since I know my little dudes don't bask a whole lot but if they do, that temp makes me feel better. Also, I have been able to keep humidity up easier without the mvb. Like a lot easier. I also ran the humidifier because temps dropped here again and the central heating is drying the joint out :0/ I temped Beans' carapace while she was self soaking under the flood bulb and it was also 95F. But I don't know how long she had been soaking and the beep of the temp gun made her get up and look for food. lol. I'll temp it tomorrow multiple times tomorrow since i only switched the bulbs halfway thru today.
When they are outside their carapace a get hotter than when they are in their enclosure. Is that a problem? They had water and shade. It was in the mid 80's the last time they were out. It was also super windy but even still their carapace, hers in particular because of the amount of black, was 105 if I remember right.

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

Team Gomberg said:
What are your new temps?
I've had basking temps up to 110F in the past but in these least few months I've lowered them to low 90's-95F and am much happier with it.

Technical difficulties.

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
When they are outside they heat up much more evenly. I don't worry about their temps as long as they have access to shade areas.

I hope the 65watt bulb works out better for you. I think it will ;)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
ImageUploadedByTortForum1393596141.748097.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1393596273.981932.jpg
Breakfast

I'll be checking temps pretty frequently today and let you know how it's going, Heather.
Thank you all for your advice!!

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

Last edited by a moderator:

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Ok. Temp of substrate and river rocks under the 65w incandescent flood bulb is 95F.
Temp of flat rock under 60W CHE is 90F(other side of enclosure).
Temp of enclosure (middle) 88F according to acurite gage.
90% humidity.
Temps inside large hide and substrate on CHE side are 85F.
Carapace temps for all three Leo's is 91F.

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Those numbers sound good to me.
Run with this new set up for a week or 2 and you'll get an idea on how you like it.

For you to compare my temp gun readings:
95.5 on the basking rock
90.7 on a hatchling's shell
85.2 on some rocks on the cool end
This is in a closed chamber with a 60watt bulb as the basking bulb.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
So new observation, my Leo's are now basking under the 65w flood bulb. They never really basked under the mvb, in going to assume it was either too hot or they were at a constant temp that they didn't need to bask? I don't know. But they are basking now and I've been taking carapace temps because it worries me a little. I also most them with water every time I catch them basking. Before a spritz, carapace temps are ranging between 93 and 97F. 97F was my darkest Leo. The other two are much more whey and they have been 93-95.
What do you think? Is this new basking a good thing or will it have negative effects on their carapaces'?
Temps in the enclosure have been 82-90F
Humidity has been 83-99%
ImageUploadedByTortForum1393887000.693436.jpg

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

Last edited by a moderator:

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Your little ones are not so little anymore! [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH][TURTLE] your Leo trio is lookin good!

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Team Gomberg said:
I think basking under the 65 watt is just fine. :) Especially in the humid chamber.

Ok. Phew! Good deal.

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

Barista5261 said:
Your little ones are not so little anymore! [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH][TURTLE] your Leo trio is lookin good!

Thank you! Their growth is astonishing since I've never owned tortoises before. Everything about their growth, care, and personalities keeps me thoroughly fascinated, entertained, and sometimes worried as you can see from the beginning of this thread LOL.

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]