So I think unfortunately my baby Sulcata is fading out.

methos75

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Lawrenceville, IL via Walker, LA
I bought her a few months ago from Tortoise Supply and she was very active, alert, and eating everything until about three weeks ago when I noticed she was slowing down. At first I thought maybe it was just the yoyoing weather, I keep my guys indoor in a reptile room that stays at 80 degrees during the winter, but I notice that they still seem aware to outdoor flaucations some how. But after the temps stabilized she just kept fading and now she barely opens her eyes and just sits in one spot all day. She still nibbles on her food but she will fall asleep while eating and I'll have to place her in her hide at night. I think care wise everything was pretty good, she has a T5 HO 10.0, temps were steady at 80 on the ambient side, 95 on her "hot" side, humidity was steady at 80%, she had dandelions, Herbal Hay, Mazuri, grocery greens, cactus, she soaked every day, etc. I've been doing carrot soaks the past week, but they don't seem to help.

I've been keeping Tortoises for decades and I've had this happen a time or two with hatchlings unfortunately. I hope she pulls through but yeah, been down this road a time or two so just getting it off my chest.

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
"I am very sorry for you and your tortoise... it sounds like everything went right... "

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Add piediyte to her soak water. I know you said the room is 80 but be sure inside her enclosure is 80 and I would bump it up to 85 while not doing so good.
Good luck hope she pulls thru.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Can you post some pics of her enclosure in case there's something affecting her behaviour that more experienced members can spot?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Please post some pictures of her for us so we might have some ideas.

methos75

10 Year Member!
Lawrenceville, IL via Walker, LA
Update!

Think I got it under control. I put her in a smaller enclosure that I placed in my outdoor green house since it's, well hot as balls in there and took Tom's monsoon hypothesis to the limit and made her enclosure into a mudhole and that along with the carrot soaks turned her around. Not as hyper active yet as she was, but she is once again moving around, eating, and digging into her mud hole.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Update!

Think I got it under control. I put her in a smaller enclosure that I placed in my outdoor green house since it's, well hot as balls in there and took Tom's monsoon hypothesis to the limit and made her enclosure into a mudhole and that along with the carrot soaks turned her around. Not as hyper active yet as she was, but she is once again moving around, eating, and digging into her mud hole.
Fantastic news!!!

I am a firm believer in the idea that there's very little that can go wrong with a tortoise that cannot be fixed by raising the temp 5-10 degree above normal and increasing humidity and soaks.

I took in a feather-light hingeback that wasn't eating and was in horrible shape, and the above treatment turned it around after about a month.

Jamie