Is My Baby Tortoise OK

silkiethesulcata

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Welcome if your UVB light is a CFL( coil type bulb). Those are bad on their eyes. You need a flouresnt straight tube type UVB. Also your temp/ hydro meter is not accurate.
Find a digital thermometer/humidastat with external wire probes.
Tried to upload a pic of mine but I am still having troubles with that.

Why do u beleive my temp/hydro meter is unaccurate?

silkiethesulcata

Kansas
Those ones are notorious for being wrong.
Ok, I will try to get a better one within the next week. Does anyone have any ideas of her health though. Like I said, she just started expiriencing this after doing fine for about 2 months, so i am looking for underlying problems because this doesnt really fit the picture. I will make all of these changes tho. If my little tort is going to die i want her to be the happiest tort alive. I wonder if sh eis overly dehydrated because her organs are malfunctioning? I give her so so much water, but it seems she isn't processing it? Any ideas on that?

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
Ok, I will try to get a better one within the next week. Does anyone have any ideas of her health though. Like I said, she just started expiriencing this after doing fine for about 2 months, so i am looking for underlying problems because this doesnt really fit the picture. I will make all of these changes tho. If my little tort is going to die i want her to be the happiest tort alive. I wonder if sh eis overly dehydrated because her organs are malfunctioning? I give her so so much water, but it seems she isn't processing it? Any ideas on that?
Does it poop everyday?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It could be from eating the same thing every day with no variety.

I keep my baby tortoises' enclosures 80-85F all over the whole enclosure, day and night. I DON'T use a curly shaped UVB bulb. I feed a variety of greens and weeds.

silkiethesulcata

Kansas
It could be from eating the same thing every day with no variety.

I keep my baby tortoises' enclosures 80-85F all over the whole enclosure, day and night. I DON'T use a curly shaped UVB bulb. I feed a variety of greens and weeds.

Ok, i will try to make all of these changes as soon as possible. Thank you all.

Donna Albu

5 Year Member
Peoria, Maricopa County, AZ
Welcome if your UVB light is a CFL( coil type bulb). Those are bad on their eyes. You need a flouresnt straight tube type UVB. Also your temp/ hydro meter is not accurate.
Find a digital thermometer/humidastat with external wire probes.
Tried to upload a pic of mine but I am still having troubles with that.
Silkie might be on strike. Of course she would rather eat romaine than grass and weeds. Do you put her food in a dish? A Tupperware lid works great. Cut the grass and weeds into little pieces. Add a little bit of cucumber minced up real small and mix it with the small pieces of grass and weeds. You could also use a bit of zucchini or summer squash or bell pepper. The cucumber is the best for hydration. Your goal is to make the weeds and grass smell and taste great for her. If you are getting the weeds and grass from your yard, be sure that it has not been sprayed or fertilized in at least a year. Keep in mind that they are attracted to bright colors, so a snack of strawberry or watermelon would hopefully get her to eat something. I'd not give any romaine for now, and reintroduce it later as a treat. In the winter, you should be feeding hay. While she is small, you need to cut it up real small, and soak it in water. Eventually, hay should be her primary diet year round. The good news is it keeps forever in an open container in the garage.

I haven't jumped in here before, so let me tell you about myself. I live in the Phoenix area with a number of pets, among which are my 3 sulcatas and a red eared slider. The turtle and the tortoises moved outside in a specially built area with a custom built home with thermostatically controlled heaters inside, and the walls and roof are insulated. The heaters come on at 70 degrees, and it Mother Nature is nasty enough to threaten going down to freezing, we shut them in the house and cover it with a very thick layer of comforters and then industrial tarp in case of rain. The probes for the thermometers are attached to the walls on the inside, but they display on the outside so they are easily read.

I've had two of my torts since they were hatchlings (actually found each of them in the yard at different times) and the third I adopted from New Jersey when he was about 18 months old. They are all full grown now. We have torn up the lawn to replace the sprinkler system, but when it is in place, the tortoises can come out into the fenced area that's about 30 ft by 75 ft. I'll post pictures when it is back together. Right now parts of the fence are down, so there's no roaming allowed!