My Sulcata get color fading

Fredkas

5 Year Member
New growth should be dark brown. The exposure to sun make them lighter. But this is not the case with Toro. For some that want to know a little of Toro background and environment can search the thread i started.
Is Toro hybrid? But he is all Sulcata to me. Picture talks more. Throw your thought here. Thank you..

Lower side seems faster changing color. Bottom side slowly fading.
20160822_200034-1.jpg
20160822_200221-1.jpg

itiswhatitis

New growth should be dark brown. The exposure to sun make them lighter. But this is not the case with Toro. For some that want to know a little of Toro background and environment can search the thread i started.
Is Toro hybrid? But he is all Sulcata to me. Picture talks more. Throw your thought here. Thank you..

Lower side seems faster changing color. Bottom side slowly fading.
View attachment 184432
View attachment 184433

I thought sun exposure made them darker ? Am I wrong ? Just curious ? I'm Still Learning lol

Last edited:

Fredkas

5 Year Member
I thought sun exposure made them darker ? Am I wrong ? Just curious ? I'm Still Learning lol
It is but not that fast. He lives indoor and any sun exposure is not enough to create this that fast. This new growth less than a month old.
I am really curious and would like to know what is the opinion from senior members.

Taco*mom

Daang!! Typed and tried to post a picture but it was just gone. I'm just using a firefox on my samsung. Maybe that's why? I think some people use TFO app? Anyway.. I was gonna mention in your other growth thread that Toro's color was fading.. but I got carried away and forgot about it. I think Toro is not a hybrid. There were several sulcatas like that. Tom had one. I think it was a sudan. It was regular color. Somehow it ended up in Dean's hand and it was sick, nearly died. When it recovered, it turned really fair it almost looked like an ivory. They call it goldie. Goldie's siblings are normal. You can search for the thread. Also there were a guy who also lives in Indonesia. His friend's sulcata's color was also fading.. I tried to post the picture but the whole thing went bubye. let me try again..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I think your tortoise looks great. There's no telling which one will be dark and which one will be light. They're all just a little bit different.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Daang!! Typed and tried to post a picture but it was just gone. I'm just using a firefox on my samsung. Maybe that's why? I think some people use TFO app? Anyway.. I was gonna mention in your other growth thread that Toro's color was fading.. but I got carried away and forgot about it. I think Toro is not a hybrid. There were several sulcatas like that. Tom had one. I think it was a sudan. It was regular color. Somehow it ended up in Dean's hand and it was sick, nearly died. When it recovered, it turned really fair it almost looked like an ivory. They call it goldie. Goldie's siblings are normal. You can search for the thread. Also there were a guy who also lives in Indonesia. His friend's sulcata's color was also fading.. I tried to post the picture but the whole thing went bubye. let me try again..
It happens sometimes. Try to copy the text in the middle of your typing.
You sure have eagle eyes.
Wow i think i got the unique one. Give me the link of goldie thread please.
I need @Tom and @DeanS here. Please give your valuable opinion.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
I think your tortoise looks great. There's no telling which one will be dark and which one will be light. They're all just a little bit different.
Thanks vyonne. I need some confirmation and opinion from experienced senior like you

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Oh i read this thread sometimes ago. This is a bit different in case. I don't know how long the time in between the pictures but he is not growing new line. Maybe a stunted sulcata. It sure will turn like that. But that is just opinion. I do want to search the history of that sulcata.

Speedy-1

Location (City and/or State)
St. David Arizona
I would agree with Yvonne , there are many color variations. I don't know of any hard and fast rules as to what color new growth should be . Toro looks just fine no matter what color his new growth seems to be ! :)

Fredkas

5 Year Member
I would agree with Yvonne , there are many color variations. I don't know of any hard and fast rules as to what color new growth should be . Toro looks just fine no matter what color his new growth seems to be ! :)
It is exciting if he becomes more unique as of now he is so unique for me already