So How Do You Get it Humid?

PebblesTortugamom

Location (City and/or State)
Chandler/Phoenix AZ
Exactly. Babies live in borrows for most of the year, and they have a monsoon season where their enviroment turns into a kinda swampy place. Keeping sullies dry leads to internal desiccation, which leads to pyramiding. They also need daily soaks. I would ignore everything you see on that book, everything. here there is all you need to know, as people like Tom and Yvonne and Kapidolo Farms have researched, experimented and discovered how babies actually live in nature. Previous care guides were based off one fact: they live in a desert. Humidity is the ONLY way to go if you want your sully to be healthy and happy. Good luck, its good your trying to find whats best for him! :):tort:

So - how do you go about creating humidity? I soak my 1 year old probably 2-3 times per week and they have a heat lamp which she/he seems to love, but seems to be healthy - good appetite and quick growth. Just not sure how to add that!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
So - how do you go about creating humidity? I soak my 1 year old probably 2-3 times per week and they have a heat lamp which she/he seems to love, but seems to be healthy - good appetite and quick growth. Just not sure how to add that!

What kind of tortoise do you have (and size)? A fully enclosed enclosure enables you to easily control heat, lights & humidity. But first things first, what kind of tort.

PebblesTortugamom

Chandler/Phoenix AZ
I have a 1 year old Sulcata - she is in a long garment/craft bin with crushed walnut (?) substrate. The walls are only about 6 -8 inches high. Has a reptile heat lamp and a shallow dish of water as well. Planning on putting her outside in an enclosure this summer, so more ideas on humidity needed - Phoenix is hot in the summer!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You don't have a UV source?
That also needs to be corrected.
Ditch the walnut shells and use Orchid bark.
It holds water. Giving off humidity without staying soaking wet.