How to get my sulcatas to eat grasses?

JNSNannahenson170

Location (City and/or State)
Saginaw TX
How to get my sulcatas tortoise to eat grasses? I have 2 sulcata, about 1-year-old. I got them at 4 months old. I researched what to feed them, but they will not eat any grasses, I have given them Natural Timothy Hay, Orchard Grass Hay, they will eat dandelions when I put them out. (it's cold outside)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
They are babies and don’t generally start to eat grass or hay until they’re abit older.

When they’re ready you chop a tiny a,ount with scissors into tiny bits, wet the rest of the food and mix it in so it sticks. Then over a period of weeks you very gradually increase the amount offered until they’re chomping away.

I am hoping they are kept separately as they’re not a social species and don’t need, want or like company.

Please read the following care guide written by sulcata expert @Tom and compare it with your setup.

Photos of your enclosure and lighting will help us to help you further.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How to get my sulcatas tortoise to eat grasses? I have 2 sulcata, about 1-year-old. I got them at 4 months old. I researched what to feed them, but they will not eat any grasses, I have given them Natural Timothy Hay, Orchard Grass Hay, they will eat dandelions when I put them out. (it's cold outside)
Yep. What Joe's mum said. Babies don't eat hay. You need to cut up tender young freshly sprouted grass and mix it in with the favorite greens to introduce it.

Try the hay once they are around 12 inches.

And I agree that they should not be kept in pairs. Groups of babies can sometimes work, but not pairs.

JNSNannahenson170

Saginaw TX
We have not had any problems with them together. We keep them in the house if it's cold outside, we also have a camera outside in their pin. We have heard they won't get along, so we are keeping an eye out for that. We will separate them at the 1st sign of a problem. Thank you everyone for the tip on grasses.