So curious

KerryGreenlee94

Location (City and/or State)
Belfast
Right guys, this might seem a bit strange but I've been wondering for a while, can tortoises form a bond with their owner! I have two Russian tortoises. One absolutely hates being held/any type of human contact and tends to shy away when I'm around. Where as my bigger one absolutely loves being held, doesn't panic, runs over to me even after being fed, so it's not just for food! I will include pictures. He has a thing for soft blankets. He loves to sit on me, especially if I'm wearing soft jammies. So many people have said they have never seen anything like it before. Please no mean comments saying I'm stupid for even thinking he likes me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    639.1 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    364.5 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 38

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
He is super cute, and you are not stupid. I don't think they bond like a dog. They do get used to things though, and I think they can be comfortable with the food god. Each of my tortoises have their own personality, and comfort level with interaction.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree, it's not in the way us human think. And not like a dog. However, I have a couple torts that are very friendly to me and the others could careless. The way I see it. I will think of it anyway that makes me feel better. So, yes, my torts love me, well a couple of them do.:D If someone thinks it's stupid, oh well. Just enjoy your torts in anyway you like. As long as it's not harmful for the tort of course

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Your tort has a beautiful shell. Some of my torts will come over to me and seem to like me to rub their head and neck, especially my Desert Tortoises. Some of my Russian torts are very outgoing and friendly and seem to like the attention while several of them tend to be more shy. It seems like the ones that are captive bred are the most outgoing. My 2 year old Russian torts are super friendly. I have a 4 year old Russian tort rescue that is the sweetest tort and loves attention.

KerryGreenlee94

Belfast
Thank you so much. His shell was terrible when I first got him. He was my first tortoise and he was a rescue tortoise and it was absolutely terrifying if I'm honest. Was literally threw in at the deep end. But over a year later he's happy and healthy again. Which makes me so happy! I've included a picture of his set up! He's one spoilt little tortoise! It's 5ft by 4.5ft! View attachment ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439581326.018521.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439581352.004790.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Hmmmm no mean, comments huh? ok give me a minute :) just kidding. they don't bond like mammals do but most seem to love human attention if you enjoy it who cares what others think? just enjoy your tortoise

KerryGreenlee94

Belfast
See I've always been told they absolutely hate people and any form of human contact and that I'm stupid for thinking otherwise. And then I have my little guy who falls asleep on me. I'm glad there's others who disagree, that they are capable of enjoying human contact! :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Kerry, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you, Charlie and erm... the other one?
I believe that my darling Tidgy and I have a very special bond.
Wifey and i can't have kids and Tidgy was rescued in a terrible state and I spent hours every day nursing her back to health.
Now maybe I was looking for a surrogate child, maybe I read too much into it and maybe she thinks differently, but she follows me about, not just for food, she seeks me out if there's a thunder storm (just for security, ok), she loves being stroked on the head and neck and will sit with me when i'm working, all stretched out, looking at what i do or just facing in the same direction. She is totally unafraid of me and is confident and content in life.
Call it what you want, but it's a relationship beyond just 'food god' to my mind.

KerryGreenlee94

Belfast
Sorry, only just realised I never introduced my other baby! Little Lola, we'll just 'lola' but everyone calls her little Lola. My Charlie is the same, even after he's fed and is content, he will still come running over to me and will try to climb up the side of his tortoise table until I pick him up. Like he is frantic, the second I pick him up he's content. He even sleeps on me. Completely different to Lola. But then again, Charlie was very sick when I got him and I had to be very hands on with him, so maybe he's just used to it? View attachment ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439589911.248582.jpg

That's my two babies together (which is a rare event)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Be aware, that probably now, certainly as they get older, they will need to be in separate enclosures or disaster will ensue.
Russians are fighters, i'm afraid.
They are both very pretty tortoises.
And it's true that each tortoise has a different personality.

KerryGreenlee94

Belfast
They are in separate enclosures! That's what I meant by the "a rare event" bit! Lola used to go for Charlie, even though she was smaller and he just sat there and done nothing. So enough was enough and I got her her own tortoise table. Decided to do something before someone got hurt. The only time they're together is outside in the garden and even then, they tend to avoid each other! Well Charlie just relaxes and she walks away! Haha :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
They are in separate enclosures! That's what I meant by the "a rare event" bit! Lola used to go for Charlie, even though she was smaller and he just sat there and done nothing. So enough was enough and I got her her own tortoise table. Decided to do something before someone got hurt. The only time they're together is outside in the garden and even then, they tend to avoid each other! Well Charlie just relaxes and she walks away! Haha :)
Apologies.
Just thought i'd check.
We had a poor tort earlier today on the forum that seemed to have been savaged by a Russian, nasty wounds.
By the way, I went to Belfast a couple of times. Nice people.
Has it stopped raining yet?

KerryGreenlee94

Belfast
The people who sold me Lola told me they would be fine due to them being a boy and girl. And even though in the back on my head, I knew they might fight, I felt awful. She was stuck in a tiny vivarium by herself so I had to save her. Brought her home and decided to try it. And for the first 6/7 months they were 100%, they slept together. ( I included a picture). And then one day I noticed her bobbing her head and circling him. And I was like nope, no more of that. And since then they've been separated. I work long hours everyday, so if something did happen, I wouldn't of been here to help. Cost me twice as much money as I wanted to spend. But I have two happy, healthy tortoises, so I won't complain. It all worked out in the end.

No, it never stops raining hahaha! Even when it's summer, it still feels like winter. So it's even ten times as rare that they actually get out into the garden together hahaha :) View attachment ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439591269.841448.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Glad you gave them both a home, you clearly care about them a lot.
Russian's are such pretty torts.
My girls a Greek, but I think she's gorgeous.
(not the one in my avatar.)