Curious about garage hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.

YuriTort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi -

I just discovered the Russian-specific forum. I am not sure whether or not I will let Yuri hibernate this year. He hibernated last year all on his own just fine - loves being outdoors. But he has some shell abrasions (they are dry, healing fast, and there is new growth underneath after just 5 days of Silvadene application) from squeezing through a rough surface in his enclosure; I didn't know he was scraping himself. Photos are posted in the "photos" forum. His shell is improving rapidly, even since my first post just a couple of days ago.

Anyway, he will be seeing the vet for his yearly check-up and to examine his shell. If he cannot hibernate, then he can stay indoors this winter. He's been indoors the past 5 days, except for when the sun finally comes out for a couple hours. However, today I returned him to his outdoor enclosure after medicating his shell.

Here is my question: *If* he gets the OK to hibernate, I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with garage hibernation? How is it done? When should he start? Last year, he hibernated from early November through early February. However, I don't know if we'll get that Indian Summer this year, as it feels pretty fall-like (low 70's, high 60's) already.

The reason I ask is because I worried about him all last winter, and if he was in the garage, in a container of some sort, I could check on him (or is that even recommended?). When he hibernated outside, he was probably 6 - 8 inches underground, under hay, inside his hut (ferret castle). On cold nights, I covered the entire hut with quilts.

Looking forward to learning - thank you:)

Rhishja & Yuri

Status
Not open for further replies.