*snooooooooore*

Ashes

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
First time I've really caught Little Dude sleepin'.... He's parallel to/facing the glass, but his head is completely sideways. Sorry the pic couldn't be better - darn redfoots and their need for humidity. ;)

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404273718.366005.jpg

Draekonic

You have glass in your enclosure? Tortoises don't have the mental capacity to comprehend the existence of an invisible yet solid barrier. This can lead to all sorts of problems... You might wanna look into that. Nice tort though!

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
Yes, I am well aware of some torts having issues with the glass and I know how to rectify that - but I've never had an issue with mine. He's never tried to climb the sides like he did in his see through water dish. He knows there's glass there. How? I dunno. It is constantly wet, though - maybe sees the water droplets? Or maybe he's just special? ;)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yes, I am well aware of some torts having issues with the glass and I know how to rectify that - but I've never had an issue with mine. He's never tried to climb the sides like he did in his see through water dish. He knows there's glass there. How? I dunno. It is constantly wet, though - maybe sees the water droplets? Or maybe he's just special? ;)
It's because your environment is correct. He knows the limits of the enclosure. Your good. I've used glass terrariums since I have started keeping tortoises many years ago and had no issues.

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
It's because your environment is correct. He knows the limits of the enclosure. Your good. I've used glass terrariums since I have started keeping tortoises many years ago and had no issues.
Why thank you very much!! :)

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
Your welcome. Many people see things wrong with husbandry and automatically assume it's one thing or another, it's usually not.
Agreed. It's not always black and white, unfortunately. Darn gray areas. :)

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
You have glass in your enclosure? Tortoises don't have the mental capacity to comprehend the existence of an invisible yet solid barrier. This can lead to all sorts of problems... You might wanna look into that. Nice tort though!

this isn't true/ depends on the tort i use a custom build closed chamber with a 6 foot glass front no problems most of the time i've noticed if a tort is walking into the glass its normally because the enclosure is to small and the tort is restless that's just my observation tho.

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
this isn't true/ depends on the tort i use a custom build closed chamber with a 6 foot glass front no problems most of the time i've noticed if a tort is walking into the glass its normally because the enclosure is to small and the tort is restless that's just my observation tho.
I completely agree. That's just his sleep spot (it's under/behind the plant). He's either there or in his hide, depending on the temp he wants. :)