slug pellets

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swansea UK
I have been buying seeds ready for when the weather breaks and hopefully i'll grow enough so that i don't have to buy any supermarket ready grown,but what are the safe alternatives to slug pellets and pesticides,last time i planted flowers there was nothing left by the morning

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
I have been told that you can use copper wire and that will keep slugs and
snails away, might want to do a search to find out more

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
thanks for the replies,i'll try both of them and let you know the results,at worse i'll end up with happy slugs lol

Holycow

10 Year Member!
Homestead ,FL
Go out at night with a flashlight and pick off the snails. Toss them in the trash and you are done.
At least that's how I do it.
--Jeff

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Are slug pellets pioson or do the do something like salt does? I have been wondering myself what to do about some hibiscus plant that are getting munched on by snails and slugs.

Are slug pellets pioson or do the do something like salt does? I have been wondering myself what to do about some hibiscus plant that are getting munched on by snails and slugs.

cyan

10 Year Member!
Georgia
Yes, slug bait is poison. It's most toxic if inhaled but also by ingestion. We have treated many slug bait toxicities at the vet emergency hospital I work at. It only takes about a tablespoon to kill a 50 pound dog. I would not use it in an enclosure where any animal could get to it.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
The beer in the pie pan works great. They get drunk and ran over by cars! No, they are attracted to it and then the alcohol dehydrates them.
Baits are , as mentioned poisonous. When I had animals that ate slugs I would only collect from very rural areas without human habitats anywhere around. The distance they travel is surprising indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.