Flukers pellets

Location (City and/or State)
New york
Hey guys! New tort mama over here trying to get things ready for winter for my lil babe.. I started an indoor garden but I’m not sure if this will be enough for these long N.Y. winters.. Just wanted some opinions on the flukers pellets for tortoises cos I see a lot of people using them but I am personally freaked out about Shelldon eating processed foods... Help?

Clueless Tortoise

Raleigh, NC
There are many opinions on pellets. If you decide to give them to your tortoise, do not solely rely on them. They still need leafy greens. I think that its really up to you. In my personal experience, I have given some to my tort but he doesn't really like them. Pellets are more like fast food in a way, and most pellets have no real nutritional value. If you do decide to go with pellets to mix in with your torts veggies I suggest either Mazuri or ZooMed. What kind of tortoise do you have? That can help narrow down what kind of foods they should mostly eat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Flukers Ingredients:
INGREDIENTS: Soybean hulls, corn, oats. wheat middlings, soybean meal, molasses, alfalfa, brewer's dried yeast, wheat flour, wheat germ, soybean oil, dicalcium phospate, salt, calcium carbonate, di-methionine, menadione dimethylpyrimidinol bisulfite (source of vitamin K).

Original Mazuri Ingredients:
Ground soybean hulls, ground corn, dehulled soybean meal, ground oats, wheat middlings, cane molasses, dehydrated alfalfa meal, wheat germ, dicalcium phosphate, soybean oil, brewers dried yeast, calcium carbonate, salt, dl-methionine, choline chloride, pyridoxine hydrochloride, d-alpha tocopheryl acetate (form of ...

HA! I wonder what Flukers based their formula on??? While they look similar on paper, I know of no one that feeds or recommends the Flukers brand. It might be okay, but I don't know one way or the other. Conversely, many people know and love the Mazuri brand and have decades of experience with good results from feeding it.

The best pelleted food are the Zoomed Grassland or Forest pellets, and the newer type Mazuri LS, which some tortoise don't seem to like much. All three of these are great supplemental food, but it will take time to get the tortoises eating them. Its worth the effort.

Other great supplements are the herbal hay from @TylerStewart at tortoisesupply.com, many dried leaf options from Will @Kapidolo Farms , and I've started using soaked horse hay pellets to mix in too. I get a 50 pound bag of horse pellets for around $15. It is plain old ground up Timothy hay with no additives of any kind. I soak 2 or 3 handfuls in a tub, plus a handful or two of Will's dried leaves, and mix that in with a 5 gallon bucket of greens and leaves. A few pellets is all that would be needed for a small adult tortoise, and one soaked pellet would be plenty to mix in with any small tortoise's greens.

New york
Flukers Ingredients:
INGREDIENTS: Soybean hulls, corn, oats. wheat middlings, soybean meal, molasses, alfalfa, brewer's dried yeast, wheat flour, wheat germ, soybean oil, dicalcium phospate, salt, calcium carbonate, di-methionine, menadione dimethylpyrimidinol bisulfite (source of vitamin K).

Original Mazuri Ingredients:
Ground soybean hulls, ground corn, dehulled soybean meal, ground oats, wheat middlings, cane molasses, dehydrated alfalfa meal, wheat germ, dicalcium phosphate, soybean oil, brewers dried yeast, calcium carbonate, salt, dl-methionine, choline chloride, pyridoxine hydrochloride, d-alpha tocopheryl acetate (form of ...

HA! I wonder what Flukers based their formula on??? While they look similar on paper, I know of no one that feeds or recommends the Flukers brand. It might be okay, but I don't know one way or the other. Conversely, many people know and love the Mazuri brand and have decades of experience with good results from feeding it.

The best pelleted food are the Zoomed Grassland or Forest pellets, and the newer type Mazuri LS, which some tortoise don't seem to like much. All three of these are great supplemental food, but it will take time to get the tortoises eating them. Its worth the effort.

Other great supplements are the herbal hay from @TylerStewart at tortoisesupply.com, many dried leaf options from Will @Kapidolo Farms , and I've started using soaked horse hay pellets to mix in too. I get a 50 pound bag of horse pellets for around $15. It is plain old ground up Timothy hay with no additives of any kind. I soak 2 or 3 handfuls in a tub, plus a handful or two of Will's dried leaves, and mix that in with a 5 gallon bucket of greens and leaves. A few pellets is all that would be needed for a small adult tortoise, and one soaked pellet would be plenty to mix in with any small tortoise's greens.
Thank you so much this is so helpful ?

New york
There are many opinions on pellets. If you decide to give them to your tortoise, do not solely rely on them. They still need leafy greens. I think that its really up to you. In my personal experience, I have given some to my tort but he doesn't really like them. Pellets are more like fast food in a way, and most pellets have no real nutritional value. If you do decide to go with pellets to mix in with your torts veggies I suggest either Mazuri or ZooMed. What kind of tortoise do you have? That can help narrow down what kind of foods they should mostly eat.
He is a marginated tortoise so he eats a lot of leafy greens.. Dandelions greens, sow thistle, broad leaves, clovers, kale... He will really eat anything I put down in front of him lol I will certainly try to Mazuri ones My local shop only had the flukers and I remember we had them for a bearded dragon at one point but it was really just a snack item so I wasn’t sure!! Thank you!!!

Tracey merritt

Somerset england
Hi have a baby sulcata had him for about three weeks he's approximately 21 weeks got him from someone snooze cat used him as a ping pong ball to play with. I've introduced him to baths and coco four substrates and am gradually getting him used to new things. Food is where I'm struggling he will eat curly kale and used to have pellets that were for European tortoises (came with him). At present I give him fresh dandelions grass cut up small mixed with some kale which he picks out. Just wondering if there's any grass based pellets I can soften to get him use to the taste as I know I need to wean him off the kale and into grass but I also need him to eat.
Thank you for any help you can supply I'm in England so not everything is available over here.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Both Mazuri LS and Mazuri 5M21 (original) are now available on Amazon in small bags.
If you find that your tortoise loves the stuff. And he probably will. Search for a livestock feed and tack store nearby. Most feed stores can get the giant bags. And it's a lot cheaper that way. They also sell entire bails of different kinds a hay, etc. Probably a must for a Sulcata