Slipped in through the back door...

Volksvegan

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
I kind of went about this backwards, so my apologies; I've actually been posting a bit, but finally got around to introductions!
I'm Deb; live in Ontario, Canada with a very understanding husband and (at present) two cats and my male Russian, Ludwig, who I've had for about 5 years. Previously I've kept many birds (including an indoor finch aviary), small lizards (Asian long-tailed Grass lizards in large indoor environments with bio-active soils), deer mice, more cats and have over-wintered a hatchling snapper.
Ludwig was captive-born in 2006, and we got him from a local breeder and reptile enthusiast. He's in a large planted indoor enclosure right now as our winters are, shall we say, not tortoise-friendly :( . However, we have a predator-proof outdoor enclosure where he spends his summer days, coming in at night. I'm hoping to apply my knowledge of bio-active substrate to his indoor enclosure when spring comes and I can get my hands on some sow bugs and worms.
I know you folks like pics, LOL, so here are a couple:
This is before I started his beak filing;
beak.jpg
Here he is in part of his indoor enclosure:
New 1.jpg
...and peeking around some plants in his indoor enclosure:
Ludwig 2.jpg
So glad I found this forum; have learned a lot and enjoy the level of friendly advice and support found here!

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Very nice. Don't tell me your are growing a pine tree in his enclosure. Cool if you are. :D

Hello and Welcome:) hehe, I did this post backwards for ya:D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Barb, looks like a Norfolk island pine and if I coulda found some this last year, I'd have some in my enclosure too. *mumble mumble*. I am glad you finally did your introduction, nice to learn a little more about those around us. :)

Volksvegan

Ontario, Canada
Yep, it's a Norfolk Island pine (so not really a pine at all). I've got a couple in his enclosure 'cause I was able to find them around Christmas time. I like the look - kind of like bonsai.
Thanks for the welcome!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Deb:

A belated "welcome" to the Forum! Nice to know a bit more about you.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Deb welcome to the TFO from AZ if you put his food on a slab of slate . The slate will help grind down his beak .

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Welcome to the dark side! Its all uphill from here!
Russians are one of my favorites. I started off with one. Now I have 5. Just cant say no to a little Russian! :D