slight problem....

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayde7699

5 Year Member
So this morning I woke up and looked over at my tortoise tank (it is in my bedroom). And first thing I did was go over and turn on the light and I saw that my male tortoise was already out next to his log, and he was just stairing at the glass. I put my hand in there and pet his head and he hissed at me!! He HISSED at me!!! I am so worried that something is wrong with him, he doesn't do that to my other tortoise at all and actually is quite fond of my female tortoise. They both are only 3 years old and he has never acted like this before. I'm worried of all the possibilities of sickness, agression, and everything else, he has been keeping his mouth slightly open all day... please comment!!!

Laurie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saratoga County, New York
jayde7699 said:
So this morning I woke up and looked over at my tortoise tank (it is in my bedroom). And first thing I did was go over and turn on the light and I saw that my male tortoise was already out next to his log, and he was just stairing at the glass. I put my hand in there and pet his head and he hissed at me!! He HISSED at me!!! I am so worried that something is wrong with him, he doesn't do that to my other tortoise at all and actually is quite fond of my female tortoise. They both are only 3 years old and he has never acted like this before. I'm worried of all the possibilities of sickness, agression, and everything else, he has been keeping his mouth slightly open all day... please comment!!!

He is NOT hissing at you. The "hiss" sound you hear is the air being rapidly expelled from his lungs because he pulled his head in quickly. You startled him.

jayde7699

5 Year Member

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
They often hiss when they get scared or startled.

jayde7699

5 Year Member
Yes but he's been doing that out of no where all day , he hissed at his log about an hour ago, when he was sitting by it for like 15 mins

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
His mouth being open would be something to question. Did he pull his head in quickly?

alben909

5 Year Member
Yuciapa,CA
He was just scared. Tortoises don't hiss. When they pull their head in rapidly, air rapidly comes out of his lungs. That is th sound you hear

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Pick up your tort, and hold him with both hands facing you. Both of your thumb's should be on his Plastron. Very gently squeeze and see if any bubbles come out of his nose. This is how I check any of my Box Turtles that don't seem well. Is he hissing or does it sound like congestion?

Status
Not open for further replies.