Wierd behavior!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Tyrone had his beak trimmed! Finally got things evened out, I bought him a cuttlebone ... Now for the weird part... He is attacking it! He hissed at it then kinda pecked at it, bit it then picked it up in his mouth and banged it against his rock! Then he pulled his head in and charged it while hissing. It was kinda shocking and funny all at the same time! He has never shown any aggressive behavior before. He is now basically ignoring it now.

He has also started sitting on his food, when we put his food in his bowl he goes over eats a little bit then sits on top of it, I don't know if it is because it may be cold from coming out of the fridge or what. I always run warm water over it to wash it off and warm it a bit. Or if he is still worried his cuttlebone is going to eat it!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
LOL That must of been a hoot to see. That dangerous white cuttle invading his territory:D. If he keeps attacking it, well it will def. work for his beak.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
It was! At first I was like what are you doing! As for sitting on his food? I just don't get it ! I laughed so hard I had tears rolling down my face! He is a little stinker!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can imagine. His food. Maybe he is either cooling off or putting his cent on it, like you said, he doesn't want that nasty cuttlebone to see it LOL

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sitting on the food is a guarding behavior. They will also sometimes pee on it to keep other tortoises away from it.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Thanks! That is kinda what I thought he was guarding it or protecting it. He is really got a funky personality! I just love home more and more everyday! ... I thought after a year of having him I would be out of the in love staged, but I just can't help how cute he is!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
He is attacking it! He hissed at it then kinda pecked at it, bit it then picked it up in his mouth and banged it against his rock! Then he pulled his head in and charged it while hissing.

Laughed really hard reading this....lol...I have a young Redfoot that will do all of these things when the "big hand creature" reaches into his enclosure anywhere near his food dish.....it is hilarious....now if the big hand creature simply picks him up he is then like "hey, whats up--we going outside, niiiiiice"...lol

Or if he is still worried his cuttlebone is going to eat it!

I bet he is keeping his eye on that darn white creature...lol :D

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
Aw, what cute behavior LOL.. definitely being overprotective of his food!

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Well I went looking for the cuttlebone, he buried it! I had trouble finding it....I am just cracking up! I put it back on his rock ...let's see what he thinks in the morning when surprise it's baaaaack!

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
Watsonpartyof4 said:
Well I went looking for the cuttlebone, he buried it! I had trouble finding it....I am just cracking up! I put it back on his rock ...let's see what he thinks in the morning when surprise it's baaaaack!

LOL he's gonna have nightmares about it! :p

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
He's obviously upset by it- why torture him? :-(

That's like teasing a child who's afraid of the dark.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
I don't think he is too upset, he ate some of it! Then i found it in his food bowl. Then it disappeared again.... He took in his hide with him. So now it seems he likes it.

BTW I sleep with a light on, because I am afraid of the dark...at my age it even!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Glad he's feeling better! :) They are funny little creatures!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Watsonpartyof4 said:
I don't think he is too upset, he ate some of it! Then i found it in his food bowl. Then it disappeared again.... He took in his hide with him. So now it seems he likes it.
Awww now he has a nice white shelled friend who cuddles with him, doesn't eat his food, and doesn't bother him with useless chatter. :D

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
I know! The whole thing was too funny... I just heard him a few minutes ago chewing on it! I wanted to watch him, but thought they needed their privacy! :p

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
image-3659315685.png

image-3792258491.png

I tried to catch him sleeping using his cuttlebone as pillow! They are now the best of friends! He turned around in the other picture and was standing on it... I don't know if he though I was going to take it, or he was mugging for the camera!

Did I do it right? Can you see pictures?

Attachments

• image-4066853054.png
    image-4066853054.png
    981.8 KB · Views: 12
  • image-2228532302.png
    image-2228532302.png
    965.7 KB · Views: 10
Status
Not open for further replies.