Sleeps all day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Terrarium:
3x3 bookshelf
Coco coir 90%, cypress mulch 10%, some timothy hay to make it look a bit green.
100W powersun lamp, 13 hours/day on timer.
95 degrees under basking, 75 cool side, 82 where he sleeps all day.
Water in a flat bowl he can easily reach.

He gets up around 10 AM, eats a ton, and walks back into his hide and sleeps all day. I hear about Russians being active, so what's up with my little one? :(

Mojo's Mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Talka said:
Terrarium:
3x3 bookshelf

He gets up around 10 AM, eats a ton, and walks back into his hide and sleeps all day. I hear about Russians being active, so what's up with my little one? :(

My RF just went through this, only he wasn't really eating...

What I did was I soaked him in some fresh bottled water when I woke up and then took him outside for a while and then soaked again in the afternoon in some warm water. He ate some blueberries and stuff and went back to being himself.

I don't know much about Russians, and since the symptoms don't match up with my Red-foot, I have no idea exactly what you should do. But in my opionion he may need to be hydrated, which = soaking.

Hope all goes well with him!

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
My older one has spurts like this. Sleeping late, gets up to eat, then disappears under the coir until the next day. I think as long as he is eating, it's normal behaviour.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
They do go through periods of less activity. When they'll just lounge around.

Has he been like this for long? Do you soak?

Also how bright is the light in the room? Your temps look great, but if the lighting to see by isn't bright enough that can make him sleepy too. I don't know about you, but I get really sleepy after watching a movie in a dark cinema... it's the same thing!

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Hmm, I suppose the room he's in could be brighter. Would leaving the light on all day help?

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Talka said:
Terrarium:
3x3 bookshelf

I believe that he may be dehydrated I had that problem too with my Russian tortoise. Give him a 5 minute bath when you wake up then let him dry by letting walk him/her walk around in the sun outside between 30 minutes to a hour (under supervision) and keep it up until he is better. If this happens again repeat the routine. (typically give him/her a bath 3 times a week) hope this helped!

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Alrighty. He got a bath this morning and went right back to sleep. The room has been brighter the past couple days. Hopefully I'll see some improvement in a couple weeks.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
If dehydration might be a problem, you need to soak for 20-30 minutes for it to have any effect

These are my soaking tips here

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Today he didn't burrow until bedtime! He did sort of lie in a corner sleeping all day, but it's better than hiding and sleeping I suppose.

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
JoesMum you're my hero. He woke up at 8 AM today! He hasn't done that in weeks!!
And he's been really, really calm during soaks too. I followed your directions exactly and he acts like he's basking!! :D

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Talka said:
JoesMum you're my hero. He woke up at 8 AM today! He hasn't done that in weeks!!
And he's been really, really calm during soaks too. I followed your directions exactly and he acts like he's basking!! :D
I am very glad this is working for you! Well done! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.