Sleeping in Weird Places/Positions: Upright?!

HawaiiHermann

Location (City and/or State)
Hawaii
My Hermann's tortoise has recently started sleeping in the strangest position: leaning upright in its hide box. The tortoise pulls in its bottom feet and rests on the back of the shell. I've certainly seen it sleep in weird positions before but this one is really strange.

IMG_20170823_204010_207.jpg

Is this something I should be worried about? If I find it sleeping like this, should I move it? What are the weirdest positions you've found your tortoise sleeping in?

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
Hi, I'm not sure about Herman's, but one of my leopards sleeps in those same various positions.

I never thought much of it and don't see any downsides. Let's see what others say.

the Turtle Shepherd

nowhere
definitely not normal. crazy guess he is trying to escape the contact with soil you have, change it to something different, it is commercial soil with fertilizer in it, i can see it in the photos, it means it contains something harmful to skin, he feels it, smells it, etc. get bark, or get some plain soil outside. also make sure it is not wet. you have a spider in there as well:) lol:) for company:)