Sleeping habits

Tort_nube

i have a very new hatchling sulcata tortoise who doesn't utilize the hide spot at all at night it just sleeps in the corner of its enclosure. Is this alright? I've read it's good to have the tortoise sleep in its hide hole at night instead, but does it really make a difference?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Where ever he feels most comfortable is good for your tort unless your tort is outside where predators can get him then he should stay protected
That is what I have applied, even though at times I get the feeling that Oli is uncomforable when he's in deep sleep.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
i have a very new hatchling sulcata tortoise who doesn't utilize the hide spot at all at night it just sleeps in the corner of its enclosure. Is this alright? I've read it's good to have the tortoise sleep in its hide hole at night instead, but does it really make a difference?
And a very warm welcome to the forum.

Nishikigoi's Torts.

Texas
My sulcata tortoise had this problem as well, but as I am planing on him moving outdoors I wanted him to get the idea of going to a 'safe place' or hide at night, ya know just to get the habit started ahead of time. It's been 3 weeks now since I started putting him in his hide at night and now he has started to get the idea and sleeps there for the whole night, and most nights I don't have to put him in his hide either. Normally a few minutes after lights off I find him head half in back half out as a sleep as can be.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Speedy sleeps in his hide most nights , unless he digs a hole along side his basking rock and sleeps there. He digs a hole , I fill it in while I have him out soaking . I guess it keeps us both busy ! :D

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
Speedy sleeps in his hide most nights , unless he digs a hole along side his basking rock and sleeps there. He digs a hole , I fill it in while I have him out soaking . I guess it keeps us both busy ! :D
You don't have to fill in the hole

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
You don't have to fill in the hole
He is becoming quite the little digger, he digs it out and I fill it in at least I only have one hole this way . It may be our little game to see who is the most stubborn ? I am leading by one hole right now ! :D

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
He is becoming quite the little digger, he digs it out and I fill it in at least I only have one hole this way . It may be our little game to see who is the most stubborn ? I am leading by one hole right now ! :D
It's probably a good idea to fill it in unless you want him to dig his own burrow. Charlie's burrow is so huge, it extends under our patio and under our house. We are in the process of filling it in so our house doesn't collapse!

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Charlie doesn't spend all night in his burrow. He is kind of a night owl. Sometimes I'll get up in the middle of the night and look out the window, and there he is, staring back at me.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
It's probably a good idea to fill it in unless you want him to dig his own burrow. Charlie's burrow is so huge, it extends under our patio and under our house. We are in the process of filling it in so our house doesn't collapse!
I let him dig around in his "hide" he has that all dug out. He goes down in there to sleep, and if he isn't on his basking rock he sits in front of his hide as if he is guarding it ! I also have a half log hide on the cool side of his tank, he will go in turn around and come back out. I guess he likes the warm side better, no big shock there ! ;)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Tidgy will get into the habit of sleeping in a favourite place.
She will sleep there for a few days or even weeks and then find a new favourite place to sleep.
I don't think it matters as long as it's dark, warm enough and humid enough.

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
Tidgy will get into the habit of sleeping in a favourite place.
She will sleep there for a few days or even weeks and then find a new favourite place to sleep.
I don't think it matters as long as it's dark, warm enough and humid enough.
My hermann's does that as well