What night temp is considered too hot?

Tortellini5

Location (City and/or State)
Santa Monica, CA
I have a night bulb for Tortellini which maintains the majority of the temp at night around the 80’s F, however because it is a bulb the hottest part gets around 90 at night. Tortellini sometimes sleeps outside of his hide and right under that 90F temp/bask area.
What are any potential negative impacts this can have or is it ok because he selected his sleeping temp?
I understand the recommended night temp is from 80-85f but I have one bulb for night and that has worked at maintaining the warmth at night around 80-86 around his hide which is the usual sleeping area.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14

Tortellini5

Santa Monica, CA
Thank you for the recommendation I have ordered a couple CHE bulbs and will get a thermostat to regulate that night heat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for the recommendation I have ordered a couple CHE bulbs and will get a thermostat to regulate that night heat.
I agree with Wellington and ZEROPILOT. CHE with a thermostat, and no colored bulbs.

To answer your original question, 90 is an okay temp, but I prefer it to drop to 80 at night all over. The damage would come from desiccation of the carapace if allowed to sleep directly under the heat lamp all night. This will cause pyramiding. They should be sleeping inside their humid hide at night.

Tortellini5

Santa Monica, CA
Thank you for clarifying that risk as well. Should I offer extra hydration like extra soaking time since he slept under the bulb?

I will move him next time I see him under the bulb, but I get the Che bulbs on Monday so we should be good after that.