Sleeping alot,eating less?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexAndKez

5 Year Member
Ive noticed over the last couple of days my horsefield tortoise has been eating less and sleeping the majority of the day.

This seems to have coincided with the recent drop in temperature.Its become really cold where i live.The day i noticed his lazy behavior was the day it started to snow.

Is my tortoise trying to go into hibernation?is this normal behavior?

Tomorrow im going to get a heat-mat to provide extra heat for his table overnight.I was hoping this might help?during the day he has a heat lamp on and ive also been leaving the heating on in the bedroom to make sure its extra warm for him.

all i want to know is this normal behavior?and will he be more active when the temperature picks up?

Thanks in advance

alex

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
It could be normal behavior. What is important to know are what the actual temps are within his enclosure... the high end and the lower temp end during the day and at night. Do you have a temp gun you can use to check on those temps? Does he also have a light on? If so how long is it on and is it strong enough?

AlexAndKez

5 Year Member
He has a heat-lamp and UAV.they are on 8-10 hours of the day but i turn them off at night.

Like i said he was very active right up until it got really cold where i live.I noticed he would sleep in late and not bother eating.then id get home from work and he would still be asleep.

Literally the day it started snowing i noticed he was alot less active.I just wanted to know if this could be considered normal?

That way i dont have to worry about it.Like i say im going to get a heat mat tomorrow so he has a heat spot overnight.

i dont have a temperature gun but it does have a stat inside the table and the temperature is correct.

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nottinghamshire, UK
I NEVER have my radiator on in my bedroom its sooooo hot cos my room is tincy! When winter came crush was also less active... So i decided to melt myself and put the radiator on... Now he wakes before his lights come on usually : )
You may just need to up the temps... If ur house is same all year round then suddenly -8 degrees come. Tortie will be colder : (

AlexAndKez

5 Year Member
Yeah the temperature outside has suddenly dropped and started to snow.

For instance today when i got in from work,he hadnt eaten the food id left him and it pretty much looked like he had stayed in the same place all day.when i picked him up he was asleep.If i put him on the floor he doesnt move round as quick and he will usually just look for somewhere to go straight back to sleep

i guess he is just trying to hibernate?or is coming close to wanting to.Hopefully the temperature picks up soon and he becomes more active.

Status
Not open for further replies.