Horsefield Reduced Appetite in Heatwave

lizzyb23

Location (City and/or State)
UK
hello
Just wondering whether other Horsefield owners have noticed their tortoises eating less in this British heatwave and sleeping way more than normal. I adopted Spike recently, he's aged 9 and lives outside in this weather in a nice run with edible plants and a wooden house, all under a strawberry net for safety.
I get that its probably too hot for him, as he's a small tort, but i thought they were meant to eat more in the heat? Spike is hardly eating compared to normal, and being more fussy than normal and only really eating when he's hand fed. I've tried bringing him in the house for a break from the heat but same thing, just eats a little and goes into his indoor house to sleep again.
He seems fine apart from that and does eat a bit but a fraction of what he did in the spring.
Has anyone else experienced anything similar?
t.i.a.
Lizzy & Spike

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
hello
Just wondering whether other Horsefield owners have noticed their tortoises eating less in this British heatwave and sleeping way more than normal. I adopted Spike recently, he's aged 9 and lives outside in this weather in a nice run with edible plants and a wooden house, all under a strawberry net for safety.
I get that its probably too hot for him, as he's a small tort, but i thought they were meant to eat more in the heat? Spike is hardly eating compared to normal, and being more fussy than normal and only really eating when he's hand fed. I've tried bringing him in the house for a break from the heat but same thing, just eats a little and goes into his indoor house to sleep again.
He seems fine apart from that and does eat a bit but a fraction of what he did in the spring.
Has anyone else experienced anything similar?
t.i.a.
Lizzy & Spike

Could be watching aestivation due to the high temps?

lizzyb23

UK
thank you Ascott. i didnt realise they did that in the heat as well as the winter. i am very new to all this. i will do some reading up.