Size of 1 year old russian

Jude curran

Location (City and/or State)
Glasgow
My russian was sold to me as a 1 year old . His shell 4 inches long that made me think he might be older , any ideas. Is it possible he isnt a russian

15465170481655894380570410231423.jpg

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Yes, that is a Russian. As for age, there really is no way to tell unless you have the birthday. They all grow at different rates but, I don’t think a one year old Russian would be 4 inches. I could be wrong though.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You've measured in a straight line, right? Not over the curve, but straight? It seems a bit large for a year, but judging by the growth seam, it looks to be about a year old.

Jude curran

Glasgow
You've measured in a straight line, right? Not over the curve, but straight? It seems a bit large for a year, but judging by the growth seam, it looks to be about a year old.
Yep it was down the middle of the shell , he is 4 inches

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Either way, the care isn’t very different at this point. Not why you asked, I’m sure, but it’s a healthy looking tortoise, regardless of age.

ErinElizabeth

Grosse Pointe, MI
My russian was sold to me as a 1 year old . His shell 4 inches long that made me think he might be older , any ideas. Is it possible he isnt a russian

View attachment 261267
This one looks similar to my Russian tortoise, who is just about 1 year exactly. When I measure a straight line, he/she is about 3 1/2”. Mine seems a little bigger than others I’ve seen. This one looks young because the growth on the shell looks new. Some of the wild caught ones from Pet Smart are clearly much older than they claim because their shells look a little more beat up and growth patterns look different, but this one looks young for sure.