Site has virus

coastal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
You guys need to look into your code, someone hacked you and loading flash player plug in down load pages over your site that are not really flash player. These appeared when not logged in and clicking on a topic discussion. Also should note the site is full of so many ads its out of control unless you are logged in. BUT you still have to deal with this to log in anyhow. Really need to rethink this. Using IE browser.

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
IE 10 however still will be an issue blocked or not the sites code is hacked and they have a virus somewhere.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
It's possible that you have this software, Open Software Updater, already installed and the flash in the ads trigger it to popup trying to get you to update.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
For those that have this, I recommend that you download and run

Malwarebytes free
https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/

AND then

Emisoft Emergency Toolkit
https://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/eek/

Delete everything they find.

No anti-malware gets 100% of things, but professionally I find using these two pretty effective.

Chrome doesn't use a flash plugin that you have to install which is why I prefer it.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Most of the time I use the app on my phone or tablet though.
(I'll stick to the app for the time being)[/QUOTE]
I'm lazy. I always have my phone. I only ever use the app. Heckfire, that how I found the forum, at the time I didn't even know I was looking for a forum! This is the closest I get to, "social media"!

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
IE 10 also has built in Flash (you do not need to download), it really is not a matter of browser the screen shot is what happens when you first visit the site and click on a forum topic (mind you that screen shot was with Chrome browser). I know for sure I do not have this spam software on my computer and its scanned daily. I have seen this on other similar forum based sites like Fauna and it is indeed a virus in the code that executes when on a computer. It could be the ads too, that explode when you click on the site. Either way needs patched, I know Fauna no longer has this issue. My guess they need to apply a software patch and remove the ads...

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
IE 10 also has built in Flash (you do not need to download), it really is not a matter of browser the screen shot is what happens when you first visit the site and click on a forum topic (mind you that screen shot was with Chrome browser). I know for sure I do not have this spam software on my computer and its scanned daily. I have seen this on other similar forum based sites like Fauna and it is indeed a virus in the code that executes when on a computer. It could be the ads too, that explode when you click on the site. Either way needs patched, I know Fauna no longer has this issue. My guess they need to apply a software patch and remove the ads...

I don't know what you're using to scan, but it would still be worth running the two programs I linked to, if you don't use them already, as sometimes this malware can attack the software you already have installed and stop it from identifying the malware.

Belt and braces.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks for the 'print screen' shot. This really helps Josh when he's troubleshooting. I'll send him an email to take a look.

I must say though, that I don't have any trouble at all with ads or pop-ups. I'm leaning towards your computer rather than the Forum's software. And no one else is complaining about it either.

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
If you have an ad blocker or pop up blocker turned on you wont see anything. Even if it was on my computer... it only loads on this site so would have had to come from this site. I am pretty sure it has to do with all these ads he has up all over the place running a script. On a computer its out of control especially the one that pops up in the bottom right and plays an ad over the site. Either way I will block everything from loading on this site and all ads.

Clunk

Relax, it's NOT a virus, stop spreading FUD.

It's just an ad being served by one of the far too numerous ad networks used here. Those fake Adobe Flash player update ads are commonplace on the internet and appear in various forms, most even mimic the genuine Adobe flash download page. They all have one goal - trick non-technical users into downloading and installing malware.

Typically website admins have no idea what ads you see because the ads displayed are controlled by the ad networks who care little about what content they serve as long as they make a profit. If you unwittingly download a virus from a link provided by an unsavory ad network you have little recourse if it causes irreparable damage by deleting important information on your computer.

Block all ads. It's the only way.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Even without ad blocker running I do not get the same results, just the ad banner across the top.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I have worked in IT for over 30 years and, I'll attempt to write this in as plain a way as possible without jargon hopefully.

He's using an internet browser that's no longer supported by Microsoft. IE10 has not had security updates since January 2016. This is a security risk when using the internet on your computer.

The only supported version of Internet Explorer is IE11.

He does not say what software he is scanning his computer with daily or what operating system his computer runs. If either or both are unsupported too that creates further risks.

I suspect he has some type of malware on his computer (which may have compromised his anti-virus) and is allowing this to dominate his internet usage.

No anti-virus gets all malware and exploits which is why I linked a couple that are good for cleanups above.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
The only supported version of Internet Explorer is IE11.
For those of us only using the app on our iPhone's, does this apply? In the past I knew these things but it's amazing what a big ole' concussion with some brain swelling will do to ya.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
For those of us only using the app on our iPhone's, does this apply? In the past I knew these things but it's amazing what a big ole' concussion with some brain swelling will do to ya.

iPhone should be Safari and should update automatically.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The apps for android phones and iphones use completely separate software to that used to display TFO on your computer.

Malware that attacks Windows computers won't run on cellphones or tablets.

If you have an old version of android or iOS that doesn't update any more on your cellphone or tablet then there is still a security risk to your phone, but it's different to this problem.