Simon's Strange Behavior?..

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
Usually when i feed Simon he runs over and eats for about a half hour devouring all the food that I give him. The past couple of days he will take like 3 little tiny bites and then go under the plant to sleep. All the temperatures and humidity are according to Neal's care sheet. He gets his soaks and everything is how it should be. He is drinking when I put him in his water, but I am not sure if he has pooped because he never goes in the water when I soak him anymore. I weighed him and he weighed 45 grams. His last weigh on wednesday he was 49. Is this a normal fluctuation or should I be concerned. Do they go through phases of eating less and eating more?

newCH

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
So.FL
Possibly your not seeing poop becasue he's eating it & that might
be why he's not eating as much ?

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
Possibly your not seeing poop becasue he's eating it & that might
be why he's not eating as much ?
Good point. I didn't think about that. Why the sudden weight loss though?

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Dont know ~ im sure other people will reply soon !

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
Still looking for more insight on this.. He did not eat from what I can tell yesterday. I also offered him a lot of food today and he seemed interested but he didn't eat? Does he need to poop is that why he isn't eating? He is still very active and walking around a lot and drinking. I just want to make sure he does not die on me.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I have noticed that my leopard eats less and walks around a lot more than usual just before he poops, in fact it's how I can tell a poop is due. Can't help with the weight loss but hope he's OK.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Try soaking him in your tub or another large container, clean it very well first of course. Sometimes walking around in the warm water helps push things out. Other than that cactus and aloe acts as a laxitive. You could try to get him to take a few bites. One other trick is to add a jar of carrot or squash baby food to soak water.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Usually when i feed Simon he runs over and eats for about a half hour devouring all the food that I give him. The past couple of days he will take like 3 little tiny bites and then go under the plant to sleep. All the temperatures and humidity are according to Neal's care sheet. He gets his soaks and everything is how it should be. He is drinking when I put him in his water, but I am not sure if he has pooped because he never goes in the water when I soak him anymore. I weighed him and he weighed 45 grams. His last weigh on wednesday he was 49. Is this a normal fluctuation or should I be concerned. Do they go through phases of eating less and eating more?

What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area and over night low?

Closed chamber or open top?

Coil type UV bulb?

Is this one of Neal's babies, or are you just following Neal's care sheet?

What are you feeding?

Just trying to gain insight and eliminate possibilities...

And yes, losing four grams over the course of a week is cause for concern.

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area and over night low?

Closed chamber or open top?

Coil type UV bulb?

Is this one of Neal's babies, or are you just following Neal's care sheet?

What are you feeding?

Just trying to gain insight and eliminate possibilities...

And yes, losing four grams over the course of a week is cause for concern.
It isnt really closed top or open container, but more of a mixture. I keep the humidity around 50% and my temperatures are basically exact to Neals caresheet. He has a MVB and a CHE. The enclosure is setup how Neal described it in his caresheet. In my opinion I have not made any mistakes as far as I can see. This is not one of his babies I just figured following his care sheet to a tee is my best option. He did nibble a little bit today but not as much as I had hoped. He drank a lot, but he usually does and I have yet to see a poop for the past 3-4 days (unless he ate it). I am feeding spring mix, kale, mustard and collard greens, mazuri, calcium supplument when needed and i recently incirporated some grasses (yesterday for the first time). I am waiting on some weeds to grow so I have a constant supply. I can grab some aloe if that will help.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I assumed it was a Neal baby..
Since its not, Can you share who the source is? Do you know how they housed the baby before it came to you? Boy oh boy does the breeders start for the baby make a difference...

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
His name is Rick and I found him in kingsnake. He lives in Texas and from what I understand he had an outdoor enclosure for all of his babies that he breeds (paradalis and babcocki, I am not sure what other kinds he breeds). He fed them a diet of grass, weeds, greens, opuntia, and mazuri. He is hard as a rock for how young he is and he is very active. He did not eat yet again today but he is still drinking. He weighed in at 46grams today so thats one more than the past few days. I wonder if he is eating when I am not looking, but then again his food seems untouched...