Simon+2?

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
For those that don't know, Simon will be 5 months on June 21st, and as @Tom says, I have caught the tortoise bug (except its only the leopard strain). I do not have any other leopards besides Simon and I was thinking about possibly purchasing 2 more from the same breeder who I was very pleased with upon receiving Simon. These torts will be a little older than 3 months, so they will not be far from Simon's age. I will be quarantining them in a 50 gallon bin for several months before adding them to Simon's enclsoure. Is there anything I should do differently than I just said, and is it a good idea to eventually add the 2? I do not want only 2 torts so I thought 3 would be a good number to start with until I catch the bug again. (Also Simon was temp sexed at 87 degrees so he is most likely female if that helps the decision).

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
As long as you have room for three in case of bullying, go for it :)

brendaed

Hi. I am planning another 2 later on in the summer once I have extended my indoor and outdoor enclosures. Shelley is 7 months so am hoping to get 2 roughly the same size and age.. Good luck!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For those that don't know, Simon will be 5 months on June 21st, and as @Tom says, I have caught the tortoise bug (except its only the leopard strain). I do not have any other leopards besides Simon and I was thinking about possibly purchasing 2 more from the same breeder who I was very pleased with upon receiving Simon. These torts will be a little older than 3 months, so they will not be far from Simon's age. I will be quarantining them in a 50 gallon bin for several months before adding them to Simon's enclsoure. Is there anything I should do differently than I just said, and is it a good idea to eventually add the 2? I do not want only 2 torts so I thought 3 would be a good number to start with until I catch the bug again. (Also Simon was temp sexed at 87 degrees so he is most likely female if that helps the decision).

I say go for it.

About quarantine: It is never a bad idea. In this situation with tortoises from the same breeder only 3 months apart, I really wouldn't be too worried. I'm not saying don't quarantine, I'm just saying I don't see a high risk factor here.

About temp sexing. The only species that has been studied and incubation temps are known for is sulcatas. However, experience tells me that the same temps for leopards usually produces similar results. 84-85 will usually get you males. 89-90 will usually give you females. 87? That's right in the middle. Could go either way.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Do it.
You clearly know to watch them carefully and are a knowledgeable, caring keeper.
More torts!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do it.
You clearly know to watch them carefully and are a knowledgeable, caring keeper.
More torts!

Agreed, and leopards are not generally as prone to fighting and aggression as some other species, especially when young.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
One thing to consider:

When adding tortoises to the first tortoise's territory you are running the risk of territorial fighting. If you have the room, it might be a good idea to set Simon up in a different spot during the quarantine period and then add all of the tortoises at the same time back into the leopard yard. That way Simon won't think he has to defend his territory because it won't be HIS territory anymore.

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
Thank you all! I think I am going to do it as soon as I hear back from the breeder.

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
I say go for it.

About quarantine: It is never a bad idea. In this situation with tortoises from the same breeder only 3 months apart, I really wouldn't be too worried. I'm not saying don't quarantine, I'm just saying I don't see a high risk factor here.

About temp sexing. The only species that has been studied and incubation temps are known for is sulcatas. However, experience tells me that the same temps for leopards usually produces similar results. 84-85 will usually get you males. 89-90 will usually give you females. 87? That's right in the middle. Could go either way.
Are you saying that quarantine is optional? My only issue is that I am out of extra bulbs and lamps lying around so I would have to get a mercury vapor, 2 new lamps, and a che just to add him to simons enclosure in a few months. I am not one to cut corners so if you really discourage this I wont go through, but what is your honest opinion?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Quarantine is indeed optional. It is a very good idea however to prevent any illness from spreading. Choosing not to, because the risk is low is still a risk. This is a decision only you can make. Welcome to the addiction level. :D

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
Quarantine is indeed optional. It is a very good idea however to prevent any illness from spreading. Choosing not to, because the risk is low is still a risk. This is a decision only you can make. Welcome to the addiction level. :D
Okay i understand!.. I would still like to hear some other opinions though as I am out shopping now for maybe new stuff.

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
I am on a budget, so i am thinking about not quarantining them, however I may seperate them for a day or 2 to check for any abnormalities!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Okay i understand!.. I would still like to hear some other opinions though as I am out shopping now for maybe new stuff.
Don't misunderstand my answer. I think it is a good idea. The only times I didn't quarantine was the 2 times I purchased tortoises that were together before I got them. I have done shorter than recommended. I make sure they are eating and have steady weight gain. I also have fecal tests done before combining.