Not gaining weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelarned

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
I purchased a G.p.p's on sunday, nov. 14th. My new leo has been eating everyday, he gets soaked everyday and he is kept both humid and warm. He its pooping regularly and seems healthy, but he has yet to gain any weight. He weighed 49 grams the day I picked him up and still weights 49gr today. No runny nose, and his eyes look alert, he moves around also. Should I be worried? Maybe worms or parasites?

M

Maggie Cummings

Have you had a fecal done? It sounds like one is needed...

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
I would say a fecal is due. While I'm sure all growth between torts is different, to have no gain in 2 weeks could be an issue.

Have you posted pics of your little guy already?

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I don't know where a young hatchling would have been exposed to parasites. I get a lot of different readings depending on when I weigh mine, As much as 6 or 7g in one day. I would check it's weight several times a day and see what you get. I think that you should've seen a positive change though. Especially if it's eating well. How much, and what is it eating? Mazuri seems to pack the weight on in my experience.

myrtle651

10 Year Member!
NYC
I would not worry about it yet. He is eating, active and poop looks normal, thats what you want to see. I received mine on 6/8 at 31grams one month later it was 35 grams. On 8/12 he was 55 grams. He is now 90 grams. I would check it next week, and I am sure you will see an increase. Looking a few time a day will not work unless you have a microgram scale!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
My baby Greek was less than 10g when I got her. In the first two weeks, so did not put on any noticeable weight, and for longer than that, in fact. However she is growing and healthy.

I would have a fecal done as a precaution, but not panic at this point. Keep a close eye on appetite and activity levels. Make sure the eyes stay clear and the plastron does not start to get soft. Just monitor closely, so that you know if something goes "off" and can react accordingly.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
if you weigh her after she poops and then one day before she did.. in such a small animal it could make a difference. Even soakings.. I would worry too much yet if acting normal and eating.
A fecal is always a good thing to have done..

kelarned

5 Year Member
California
Tonight is the big weigh in. It has been a week, since his last weigh in. He has been eating well, is still active and has regular solid poos. I will post the results tomorrow (cause I know you have all been waiting on pins and needles).

ekm5015

5 Year Member
Definatley get a fecal done. It costs $20 max and is well worth it. My baby sulcata had pin worms and by the time I figured it out it was already too late. He started getting soft from the lack of nutrition and eventually died.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
My thoughts would be parasites. Fecal culture and then three courses of medicine. Any signs of being septic?

kelarned

5 Year Member
California
No signs of being septic. Is now 59g. Sorry I didn't post right away. I plan on getting fecal over xmas break just to be sure, but I am pleased he gained a little finally.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Great news! I have a few that are also taking their sweet time, but none of them, except one are growing really fast. Mine all range from 54-89, but the one that Cory picked is about 140 now. They are all from different clutches out of different parents. Yours was one of the last to be hatched in that batch. He'll catch up. If you still do the fecal, please post the results. I have not done mine since they are captive hatched out of long term captives and haven't been exposed to anything or other torts. But I'm very curious anyway.

Just for the sake of discussion: I weighed Tuck on 12-5 and he was 184. On 12-10 he was 176. On 12-11 he was 212 after eating, but before sunning and soaking. After sunning and soaking, also on 12-11 he dropped to 199. There is quite a bit of variability is the point. There should just be steady gain over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.