Sick Sulcata. HELP?

Bree

Well, a few weeks ago I started noticing his shell was really soft on both sides- his tummy and back. I googled asking if this was bad and most people said it was okay since mine is a hatchling. I've had him for a few months and i only have a heat source for him, but since I live in LA let him out everyday for about 5 hours. Yesterday I bought him a Zilla UVB flourecent light so he could get the full 12 hours he needs. Today, though, I noticed him not moving AT ALL. He wouldn't open his eyes or anything. :( I freaked out and quickly put him in warm water to wake him up. He did and about 10 minutes after he pooped green. I don't know what to do. I also noticed his under side getting really soft. I got him to open his eyes and he would run around but I would notice he couldn't move his two front legs? I also noticed him very lethargic recently. I don't know what's going on. Please help. I don't have money for a vet right now. :( Anything would be great.

P.S. I have him in a hero table. He has a basking lamp with heat, uvb(since yesterday), a little house, mulch, his water bowl so he could soak when ever he wants and his food bowl so when he eats.

Right now I have him outside in a container with warm water and Gerber carrot up to his mouth so it could go through his thin skin. I heard that helps.

If more info is needed ask. I need help.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Was his shell always like that? or did it start going soft?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
If you think it is getting worse, it might be. A shell starts out soft and hardens over time, when a shell starts going soft, it is a serious problem,needs to be handled immed. The little guy's body is basically leaching the calcium out of it's own body. Vet intervention will be needed if it is to be saved, and even then it is still not a guarantee. This usually results from a combo of things, lack of calcium/sunshine and or diet.

Bree

If you think it is getting worse, it might be. A shell starts out soft and hardens over time, when a shell starts going soft, it is a serious problem,needs to be handled immed. The little guy's body is basically leaching the calcium out of it's own body. Vet intervention will be needed if it is to be saved, and even then it is still not a guarantee. This usually results from a combo of things, lack of calcium/sunshine and or diet.

So there is nothing I could do? Because vets are expensive. and money is tight. /:

M

Maggie Cummings

What do you feed him? Do you give him any calcium or supplements? I see you said he's a hatchling and you've had him for a few months...how was he when you got him? Active? Eating what? It's 'possible' that he was sick or on his way to sick when you got him. That's why I was asking about how he was acting, and feeling then.
I understand about money being tight, and there is some stuff maybe you can do...

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I honestly can't say nothing, just never seen one recover from this without a vet and liquid calcium.

Bree

What do you feed him? Do you give him any calcium or supplements? I see you said he's a hatchling and you've had him for a few months...how was he when you got him? Active? Eating what? It's 'possible' that he was sick or on his way to sick when you got him. That's why I was asking about how he was acting, and feeling then.
I understand about money being tight, and there is some stuff maybe you can do...

I feed him spring mix and let him graze about once a week. i get him calcium powder form and yes I've had him for a few months already. :( When I got him he was shy but he seemed fine afterwards he would be REALLY active