Concerned for Steve

Akihimeko

Location (City and/or State)
APPLE VALLEY
Steve is 3 2/1" 93grm sulcata tortoise I noticed he been rubbing his eye since yesterday. The day started at 7am and he was still sleeping by 10ish he was running around about lunch time I noticed he kept walking into the walls so I got him out gave him a bath. (He had gotten some of the fibers on him before the day prior) I hadn't thought to really stare at him then by 3pm my fiancee said Steve was walking into walls again. So again we gave him another bath. After that I removed him from the new tank to his old tank. (The temperature control is easier) We cleaned everything out and realized at some point he used his food bowl as a bathroom he usually used his water bowl.(we think this may be the cause for his eye infection) I usually change his food at 7am and 730pm his last meal usual 1000 right before he sleeps. Today I gave him a bath and the the swelling has gone down some. He is eating we add cucumber as well as we not sure his drinking enough water. I also noticed that his eye glands only swell when his in the bath. The last photo is Steve when his normal. Is there anything I can do to help his eyes return to normal. I know usually for most animals we have eye drops but I'm not sure what kind to use for him also some recommend carrot juice but they have a red ear slider turtle not sure it those apply to Steve since his a tortoise. For now I am monitoring him in his new tank we're think we may have to re order substrate and add more chips than Coco/coir fiber since I worried Steve might get more of it in his eyes.

Attachments

• IMG_20210930_110827.jpg
    IMG_20210930_110827.jpg
    421.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20210930_111024.jpg
    IMG_20210930_111024.jpg
    752.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20210930_111052.jpg
    IMG_20210930_111052.jpg
    651.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20210811_161048.jpg
    IMG_20210811_161048.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 39

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What type of UV bulb are you using?
What type of basking bulb?
What size enclosure?
What are your four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low?
Is the coco coir damp and hand packed?

Akihimeko

APPLE VALLEY
I've got a
D3 desert arcadia UVA/uvb bulb
100 w ceramic heating emitter
Zilla night black heat lamp incandescent 75 w

The hard part is our tank temp is 84.8 and 85.4 some times 90. We can't seem to get one side to be cooler than the other. We even attempted to lower a lamp in hope it would change.( Still looking for the heat gun checker in one of the moving boxes unfortunately I don't have it to fully check temps.)

Also if I have the D3 lamp on and the ceramic heat on the entire tank heats to 90/95 so we only have the emitter on.

The other issue I am having is keeping the humidity high it always drops down alot. We can't seem to keep it near 90. At most is 70.

Should I just completely soak the the Coco/coir and bark with hot water? To help with humidity.

The picture is of the lamps

Attachments

• IMG_20210930_133219.jpg
    IMG_20210930_133219.jpg
    811.1 KB · Views: 18

Akihimeko

APPLE VALLEY
O and the bark seems to be the most damp not the coir/Coco underneath should I went it with hot water and put it in the tank again

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've got a
D3 desert arcadia UVA/uvb bulb
100 w ceramic heating emitter
Zilla night black heat lamp incandescent 75 w

The hard part is our tank temp is 84.8 and 85.4 some times 90. We can't seem to get one side to be cooler than the other. We even attempted to lower a lamp in hope it would change.( Still looking for the heat gun checker in one of the moving boxes unfortunately I don't have it to fully check temps.)

Also if I have the D3 lamp on and the ceramic heat on the entire tank heats to 90/95 so we only have the emitter on.

The other issue I am having is keeping the humidity high it always drops down alot. We can't seem to keep it near 90. At most is 70.

Should I just completely soak the the Coco/coir and bark with hot water? To help with humidity.

The picture is of the lamps
The Arcadia bulb is good. How high above the substrate is it mounted and how many hours per day do you run it?

The CHE is good too as long as its controlled by a thermostat.

Get rid of the black light. You need white light for day time, and the CHE keeps temps warm at night. Also, 75 watts is probably too much heat for a closed chamber unless its in a really cold room.

One side doesn't need to be cooler for a sulcata. 85-90 is a great daytime temp for them. It should cool to 80 when the basking lamp clicks off at night.

You don't need hot water to dump in the substrate, Any temperature water will do. It will equalize to the temp inside the chamber anyway. Yes, the substrate should be damp, but not wet. Try closing your vents a little to keep humidity in.

There are four elements to heating and lighting:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt incandescent floods from the hardware store. Some people will need bigger, or smaller wattage bulbs. Let your thermometer be your guide. I run them on a timer for about 12 hours and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. I also like to use a flat rock of some sort directly under the bulb. You need to check the temp with a thermometer directly under the bulb and get it to around 95-100F (36-37C).
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. You'd only need day heat for a temperate species like Testudo or DT, as long as your house stays above 60F (15-16C) at night.
  3. Light. I use LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most bulbs at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish. Strip or screw-in bulb types are both fine.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. In the UK, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. 5.0 bulbs make almost no UV. I like the 12% HO bulbs from Arcadia. You need a meter to check this: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html

Akihimeko

APPLE VALLEY
The arcadia bulb is 2ft above the substrate. We run it from 7am to 9 30pm
I have a 60w CHE I will change it too.
I will go to home Depot and Lowes to find that incandent one your talking about.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The arcadia bulb is 2ft above the substrate. We run it from 7am to 9 30pm
I have a 60w CHE I will change it too.
I will go to home Depot and Lowes to find that incandent one your talking about.
The basking lamp and the LEDs should be on for about 12 hours. The UV tube only needs to run for an hour or two mid day. It should not be on all day. Its too strong and that could be the source of eye irritation. They don't need that much.

If you are in CA, you won't find the bulb you need here. Stupid CA politicians banned them. You'll have to have a friend or family member out of state order them for you and have them shipped here.

Akihimeko

APPLE VALLEY
The basking lamp and the LEDs should be on for about 12 hours. The UV tube only needs to run for an hour or two mid day. It should not be on all day. Its too strong and that could be the source of eye irritation. They don't need that much.

If you are in CA, you won't find the bulb you need here. Stupid CA politicians banned them. You'll have to have a friend or family member out of state order them for you and have them shipped here.
That makes sense now I did have it on way too long then I'll be sure to change it to limit for only an 1 1/2hour.

I found a 60 watt a19 incandescent bulb at home Depot

He eating well, his eyes ducts aren't very puff

still trying to get the humidity back up it still very low.

Will update tomorrow

Akihimeko

APPLE VALLEY
He seems to be doing alright today he ate quite a bit last night after I rearranged the lights, about two Romain leaves and some kale and one piece of cucumber. His eyes don't swollen and his not rubbing. (Is celery safe for them? Also saw in note carrots?)

Though the temp is hovering between 88.5 and 91.3 (I turned off his basking light it was about 94-95 with it on I'm not sure if that temp safe for em.) I forgot today a sleep day for him. He usually eats alot one day runs around then the following he sleeps more than eats some later in the day.

I still having problems with the humidity it's at 75/80.

Will post temps later once new heat checking gun come in today.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He seems to be doing alright today he ate quite a bit last night after I rearranged the lights, about two Romain leaves and some kale and one piece of cucumber. His eyes don't swollen and his not rubbing. (Is celery safe for them? Also saw in note carrots?)

Though the temp is hovering between 88.5 and 91.3 (I turned off his basking light it was about 94-95 with it on I'm not sure if that temp safe for em.) I forgot today a sleep day for him. He usually eats alot one day runs around then the following he sleeps more than eats some later in the day.

I still having problems with the humidity it's at 75/80.

Will post temps later once new heat checking gun come in today.
The basking lamp needs to be on all day every day. If it is overheating the whole enclosure, ten switch to a lower wattage bulb. 94-95 is on the high side, but not dangerous. Its 94 or higher nearly every day where they come from.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
As Tom said, make sure you run the CHE through a thermostat which will switch it in and off to keep temps even and stop it getting too hot.

Akihimeko

APPLE VALLEY
I tried to take steve to the vet this evening due to him having some bubbles and sneezing he only did it for like 30 seconds and hasn't since (i just moved to apple valley) and turns out the vet that knows reptiles won't be in till sunday. So i'll have to wait and just keep trying to monitor steve.

His tank is currently 94 heat/90humidity

The cooler side of the tank is at 88 (back end)

Under the lamp is 96

I had feed him cucumbers at 430pm and he ate quite a bit, he then proceeded to pee (clear) but started sneezing and a bit of bubbles were popping from his nose. Sadly I know that means he may have RI and I hope he can make it till sunday. He still eating, and still active I just hope we get his medication in time. My fiancée said he did see him eat some kale and his romaine leaf lettuce (steves favorite, he ate about half a leaf). I have bathed him twice today but I haven't seen him poop since yesterday. I also add some thin shaving of carrot.

I think I may change out the substrate and start fresh as i am worried that if it is RI that it may be floating around in his bedding. For now I let him rest as I know I probably stressed him out with trying to take him to the vet( So annoying they didn't change on their website that due to covid they aren't taking walk ins.)

Will keep posted on steve and his tank conditions. Fingers Crossed.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I tried to take steve to the vet this evening due to him having some bubbles and sneezing he only did it for like 30 seconds and hasn't since (i just moved to apple valley) and turns out the vet that knows reptiles won't be in till sunday. So i'll have to wait and just keep trying to monitor steve.

Under the lamp is 96

I had feed him cucumbers at 430pm and he ate quite a bit, he then proceeded to pee (clear) but started sneezing and a bit of bubbles were popping from his nose. Sadly I know that means he may have RI and I hope he can make it till sunday. He still eating, and still active I just hope we get his medication in time. My fiancée said he did see him eat some kale and his romaine leaf lettuce (steves favorite, he ate about half a leaf). I have bathed him twice today but I haven't seen him poop since yesterday. I also add some thin shaving of carrot.

I think I may change out the substrate and start fresh as i am worried that if it is RI that it may be floating around in his bedding. For now I let him rest as I know I probably stressed him out with trying to take him to the vet( So annoying they didn't change on their website that due to covid they aren't taking walk ins.)

Please calm down a little. Your stress makes your tort more stressed. If he has an RI, he needs rest & warm temps. He is eating now. If he worsens, then take him to the vet. Know that the antibiotics will likely take away his appetite & a vitamin shot does not cure RIs.

I know how stressed you are. I just got Houdini at the end of Aug. & I go over & over every day if I did my best for him. So go back thru the forum care sheet. Look at some threads on RIs & see what has worked for others. Good tort vets are hard to come by, & you need someone who has experience treating torts, not just reptiles.

If you've been keeping up on daily touch cleaning the substrate, I wouldn't stress your tort out by changing out the substrate right now. The little guy hasn't snotted up his enclosure that bad, has he? I mean if snot is dripping from everything then maybe.

Seriously, calm down. Take a deep breath.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Under the lamp is 96

A RI is very unlikely at those temps, and they don't get it from substrate. The bulbs and sneezing was very likely due to the cucumber. Juicy cactus pads will sometimes do that too. If he's eating and active, then he's probably fine. Most vets don't know torts and will do the wrong things anyway. Even the ones that think they know reptiles.

Akihimeko

APPLE VALLEY
sorry, I had red ear sliders that died from RI and the bubbles was what I had missed when I had them 10yrs ago. (I think they were already sick because within a week they had full in bubble sounds comen out of their mouth).

We just moved to Apple Valley about a week ago so it been chaos in my brain.

His tank still mataining proper heat an humidity levels. He isn't snotting bad I haven't seen him sneeze more today since we been home. I am making sure his gets clean food and water.

Thanks for the reality boop. ❤️

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I don't know how big Apple Valley is, but we have a lady who used to be on the forum who lives there.

She got too busy with work and stopped coming by, but she knows torts. Keep an eye out for her...her name is Angela Scott.