Sibling emys emys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Here is a pic of my 2007 hatched emys emys they have been raised together since hatching, yet there is a size and shell shape difference,The smaller one's shell is more concave, I don't know why, it just happens.The larger one measure's a little over 7 inches.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aren't they cute?

My little Mep only child that hatched appx. 3 years ago started out with reverse pyramiding too, but it is growing normally now.

Yours are appx. the same age as my little Emmie. I wonder why mine is so much flatter than yours. I'll go get a picture.

This is very close to the top of my favorites list.

Emmie11-2010.jpg

If you look at the hatchling scutes (in the very centers) you can see how inverse they were. And I guess she's not quite as flat as I thought. Maybe she's only 2. I'd have to look back at previous threads. She seems quite a bit smaller than yours.

I hope you don't mind that I added my picture to your thread.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
emysemys said:
Aren't they cute?

My little Mep only child that hatched appx. 3 years ago started out with reverse pyramiding too, but it is growing normally now.

Yours are appx. the same age as my little Emmie. I wonder why mine is so much flatter than yours. I'll go get a picture.

This is very close to the top of my favorites list.

Emmie11-2010.jpg

If you look at the hatchling scutes (in the very centers) you can see how inverse they were. And I guess she's not quite as flat as I thought. Maybe she's only 2. I'd have to look back at previous threads. She seems quite a bit smaller than yours.

I hope you don't mind that I added my picture to your thread.

No, I love the pic, It's beautiful, looks like a phayrei should look. and can see the new growth between the scutes.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Len, they look perfect. I sure like this species. I know why they are one of Yvonne's favorites.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
I love it! The larger one of my 07's is just over 7" as well. The size difference between the 3 isn't as drastic though. The other 2 are slightly smaller and are unidentifiable between each other.

REDFOOTMATT

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
CA
I've always wanted to keep one of these species but I've heard they don't do well in the heat around here. You're in the Clovis area though Yvonne, right? Your's do fine in our hot summers?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My "rain forest" is under a very large mulberry tree. The tree provides pretty dense shade most of the year. Even now, when its almost winter, it has held onto most of its leaves and its still quite shady under it. Besides the tree, I have drip pipe hanging from tall T-posts all around the "rain forest" with sprinkler-type drip emitters about every 4' punched into the line. They put out a very fine spray in about a 4' circle. Between the tree and the mist, the temp in the "rain forest" is quite comfortable, even on the hottest day. But you MUST provide them with plenty of shade. Because they're black, they absorb the heat and if they have to spend too much time in the hot sun, it could be fatal.

Status
Not open for further replies.