Shy Tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jodiewaite23

5 Year Member
I've often wondered how different my tortoise is compared to others. Mister T (who I now think is a female) is 4, and living in Scotland, it is more often than not that he will run around the house as opposed to outside.

However, has anyone else noticed that their Hermanns tortoise loves to hide in little corners? He'll run around the living room, and within five minutes I'll see his little bum wiggling to get under the couch or find him behind my guitar. He's such a friendly little guy, and he has always been crazy, but is he afraid of open spaces? Does anyone else's tortoise do this? I'm interested to find out :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using TortForum mobile app

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Yes, very common for a tortoise to feel exposed out in the open and retreat to the safety of somewhere....you keep an indoor enclosure for him right? This would offer him a sense of security...an indoor enclosure with plants and such for him to hide in and under would be a great thing...:D

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
My box turtles do this!! They have tons of room and they will sometimes stick their head in a corner like a child in trouble!! :) :)

jodiewaite23

5 Year Member
Yes he's ( maybe she's?) got an indoor enclosure in my bedroom. It's got coconut shavings and rocks, etc but I think plants would be an excellent idea :) any suggestions which plants would be best? I just sat with him watching tv and he's off again under the sofa! I'm hoping the more I let him out now the weather is better, the more confident he'll become :) thanks for your post :)

It's so strange isn't it? Almost like they're hiding! :p even when I let him roam the garden, I have a patio outside the front window and he will NEVER cut through the middle and always stick to walking closely around the outside, sometimes even walking so close to the wall that you can hear his little shell scraping against it! This is where he has currently gone (in the picture). He never fails to run around the living room without retreating to the other side behind my guitar! He may be shy but he definitely has a good sense of direction :D

Attachments

• 1377267039263.jpg
    1377267039263.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 30

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
thatrebecca said:
Well you know in the wild they use guitars to hide from predators... ;)

But mine seem to prefer my Guilds, never my Fender. OTOH, it may be they prefer acoustic guitars, and my Fender is a Telecaster.

Thinking we should do a major research project on what guitar brands Hermann's torts prefer... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.