Shy redfoot hatchling

Honeyman

Location (City and/or State)
Mount pleasant
About two months ago I purchased a northern redfoot hatchling. His name is Magnus. He is about 7 months old and weighs 182 grams. The reason for this post is because he never comes out of his hide to bask or eat, the only time he is out of his hide is when I soak and then I will place him back into the enclosure where he will then go to the food dish eat then go right back to his hide. Once or twice I've seen him explore but only a small amount of the enclosure. He has clear eyes, good weight, nice growth, no discharge frome the nose or any sign of illness. How ever I find it odd that he never comes out even for a hatchling he seems extremely shy. Is this normal? Do some baby's just hide all the time, Or is there more to it? Here is a picture of the enclosure as well.20231010_124254.jpg20230905_170507.jpg

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Our little guy is the same age he does hide a lot. I feed him in multiple places and after a few months he has done more wondering around his enclosure.

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
About two months ago I purchased a northern redfoot hatchling. His name is Magnus. He is about 7 months old and weighs 182 grams. The reason for this post is because he never comes out of his hide to bask or eat, the only time he is out of his hide is when I soak and then I will place him back into the enclosure where he will then go to the food dish eat then go right back to his hide. Once or twice I've seen him explore but only a small amount of the enclosure. He has clear eyes, good weight, nice growth, no discharge frome the nose or any sign of illness. How ever I find it odd that he never comes out even for a hatchling he seems extremely shy. Is this normal? Do some baby's just hide all the time, Or is there more to it? Here is a picture of the enclosure as well.View attachment 362415View attachment 362416
That's a beautiful setup. Is it always that bright? I'm wondering if he's like me and prefers a darker house. Or a dimmer corner. I understand the plants need light, I'm just wondering about his retreating so much.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
IF (IF) all of your parameters are correct. Then yes. It is 100% normal for a baby RF to hide and sleep most of the day.
What is the ambient temperature and humidity?
What are you feeding?
Also, I'm just curious. What are those two bulbs seen in the photos? Are those coiled compact UVBs?

Honeyman

Mount pleasant
The ambient humidity is between 80- 90% and the temps stay in the mid 80's during the day with a basking spot of 96°.the bulb on the far right is a 75 watt flood light and the one that is on the left was just a normal led bulb but it has since been replaced with a CHE that is on a zilla 1000 watt thermostat that is set so the Temps won't go below 80 i also thought it was a bit bright so that was another reason for removing that. There's one 48'' and one 36" t5 10.0 uvb( I use the 10.0 due to the height of enclosure). For the diet I do about 55% greens, 35% fruit and 10% animal protein. The fruits I feed are prickly pear, papaya, mango, guava and occasionally some berries. The greens are usually weeds in the form of dandelion, mallow, several kinds of plantain, clover, hibiscus etc. For protein I will give an earth worm, hard boiled egg or some muzzuri. I also offer cuttlebone and I do sprinkle calcium twice a week and a multivitamin once a month.

Honeyman

Mount pleasant
That's a beautiful setup. Is it always that bright? I'm wondering if he's like me and prefers a darker house. Or a dimmer corner. I understand the plants need light, I'm just wondering about his retreating so much.
Thank you! It was all hand built including the background( my personal favorite😂) and no it hasn't been that bright since it was first set up a few months ago. I ended up removing one of the LED lights because I had the same theory

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Just chime in to say, that's really impressive enclosure, the climate inside and diet. I wish my tortoise had such a great start!

I think, your little guy simply has no reasons to roam around - he's fed, warm and safe. With my tortoise I have following observations: if she's fed right after the soaking she goes to the hide and takes a nap. If I feed her later - she takes some time exploring (probably, foraging for food). Another thing is that enclosure is bright and has much open space, probably hatchling would avoid going out as he's an easy target. You can try to switch off one of the UVBs, to make half of the enclosure dark and shady and put more "low shades", so he can safely walk unnoticed under them (just for example - ferns, pothos vines, something that imitates lower layer of the forest flora). Or just wait a little, he would probably settle down, grow up a bit and would be an unstoppable explorer.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Aside from that hot area being dangerously hot. Your enclosure sounds great.
Avoid temperatures higher than 90.
(For a RF BABY)
Redfoot do not need high heat and will try to avoid it.
They can and do overheat easily.

Honeyman

Mount pleasant
Aside from that hot area being dangerously hot. Your enclosure sounds great.
Avoid temperatures higher than 90.
(For a RF BABY)
Redfoot do not need high heat and will try to avoid it.
They can and do overheat easily.
First I would like to say I greatly appreciate the fast responses and for helping me do better for my animals. I was wondering what kind of light you personally use and what would be the ideal basking spot range? Is 90 what would be best or should I just go mid to high 80s? I went and got a lower wattage flood light this morning but it only dropped the temp to 92° directly under the light and I cannot find a lower wattage incandescent flood bulb for sale, and I've read that's the best kind of light to use

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
First I would like to say I greatly appreciate the fast responses and for helping me do better for my animals. I was wondering what kind of light you personally use and what would be the ideal basking spot range? Is 90 what would be best or should I just go mid to high 80s? I went and got a lower wattage flood light this morning but it only dropped the temp to 92° directly under the light and I cannot find a lower wattage incandescent flood bulb for sale, and I've read that's the best kind of light to use
Amazon is probably your best bet for incandescent bulbs the lowest wattage one I spotted at the pet supplies plus near us was a 50 watt.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I might be wrong, but RFs don't need a basking spot per se. Ambient temps in 82-84F all around the enclosure are optimal.
In my very low height enclosure two JungleDawn lights (yep, LEDs) make a warm spot around 86-88F, which seems to be fine for my RF. She has quickly got an idea, that under the bright light there is a warmer place and basks there a little in the mornings (I feel it's close to sun patches or forest borders in the wild).

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
92 directly under the light would be ok. Because I'm imagining that the temperature drops off rapidly away from the light.
Is there any easy way to raise it up higher? That in itself will lower the temperature under it. I use 40 watt or 60 watt incandescent bulbs for my Chameleons. (That I do keep indoors)
Keep in mind that I live in south Florida and my tortoises live outside 24/7.
My indoors Redfoot keeping is pretty limited. And I have very little to offer there except sharing information that I've gathered from other members whom I trust and respect, that have made things work for them indoors.
What ends up working for you may be a special combination of items due to your particular area and situation etc.
I would use the T5 ho UVB source for daytime light and one or two CHE for heating both day and night.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I might be wrong, but RFs don't need a basking spot per se. Ambient temps in 82-84F all around the enclosure are optimal.
In my very low height enclosure two JungleDawn lights (yep, LEDs) make a warm spot around 86-88F, which seems to be fine for my RF. She has quickly got an idea, that under the bright light there is a warmer place and basks there a little in the mornings (I feel it's close to sun patches or forest borders in the wild).
That actually sound ideal.
Well done

Honeyman

Mount pleasant
I'm using a 75 watt currently and it can't be any higher than what it already is. I ordered some 60 watt bulbs from Amazon and we will see what those do. I was also considering only using CHEs for heat instead of a flood light. I think I will try both methods and see what gives the best results. I want to give a big thanks to every single one of you for being so kind and answering my questions I truly value all the knowledge you have shared

Honeyman

Mount pleasant
Also I forgot to mention it does drop off drastically in temperature from directly under the light onwards so the 92° is only in a small area