Dante Update! Good and...Suddenly Shy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
So, quick recap, over a month ago we treated Dante for Protozoa and right away his appetite was better. I'm happy to report that his appetite is still good, over a month later!! :) Though, he will ONLY eat Mazuri, no greens. That was OK at first since we wanted him to put on weight, but now I want to get those greens back into his diet.

So, the weird part of his update...he's had some behavioral changes since he got better.

Except from when he was physically weak from not eating, he was a fairly friendly tortoise even during his treatments -romping around and coming over to say hi. He got somewhat unhappy towards the end (this was weeks or treatment, sometimes daily, sometimes not), but he didn't seem too traumatized.

After he started eating better, he stopped moving around so much. I figured it was because the little guy was busy digesting! But now...I don't know. He doesn't romp around at all. He eats in the morning, goes to his corner under the light, eats, corner, drinks, corner, etc. When we take him out, he does not explore at all. He finds a dark corner to hide. And he is SHY. He gets scared when we pick him up and he pees! And breathes heavily. He never did that before, except a couple times during his treatment.

Do you think this is a delayed trauma to all his treatments?

His enclosure has been changed a couple times since this behavior started - new substrate, new plants, etc. Nothing major. He's peeing and pooping, and eating regularly. Temps and lights are the same.

Any thoughts? Is it something I should even worry about? Or do you think we should give him more time to come back out of his shell? =P

Thanks!

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ aria
I'd say wait a week or two and see what happens. You might want to just start mixing in greens with the mazuri enough so he wont really be able to eat around them. just wet it down, rip everything into little pieces ind shake it all up in a bag or something and serve it. Have you tried giving him nice warm bathes every day?

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Good idea, I'll start mixing his food again. I did when he was sick to get him to eat Mazuri...oh the irony!

Oh yes, he LOVES bath time :) He gets a bath almost every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.